6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2010 6:02 PM by DrClap RSS

Install JMX agent service?

Hello,

I am working on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) which has JRE only (java version "1.6.0_10", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)).

Now I want to use Jconsole to remote monitor the application running on this machine (Jconsole runs in another machine). I cannot install the whole J2SE (which already contains JXM service) on that machine.

(I have already tried some attributes like -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true to enable remote access, but the system did not work, I guess it does not have JMX service yet)

Can anyone have any ideas how can I install only JMX service on that machine so that it allows Jconsole to connect to?
        • 1. Re: Install JMX agent service?
          ipkiss wrote:
          Hello,

I am working on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) which has JRE only (java version "1.6.0_10", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)).

Now I want to use Jconsole to remote monitor the application running on this machine (Jconsole runs in another machine). I cannot install the whole J2SE (which already contains JXM service) on that machine.
          So what sort of application are you planning to run on it?
          • 2. Re: Install JMX agent service?
            DrClap
            That question almost looks like "How can I run JConsole on my client machine without also installing J2SE on that client machine" but I don't think it is. However reading the question is like watching the guy with the three walnut shells and trying to see which shell the pea is under. I'm completely lost. Could you try again, explaining how many machines you're talking about, which machines have what installed on them, what's running on what machine, and what's missing?
            • 3. Re: Install JMX agent service?
              The things are simple,

I have one computer (called computer A) which was installed ubuntu 9.10 and JRE. I use another computer (also intalled Ubutun) to run Jconsole to monitor applications running on computer A. These applications are just normal java application.

I just want to know if there are some ways that I can install JMX without J2SE? Without JMX agent, I cannot use JConsole for remote connection.

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Install JMX agent service?
                ipkiss wrote:
                The things are simple,

I have one computer (called computer A) which was installed ubuntu 9.10 and JRE. I use another computer (also intalled Ubutun) to run Jconsole to monitor applications running on computer A. These applications are just normal java application.

I just want to know if there are some ways that I can install JMX without J2SE? Without JMX agent, I cannot use JConsole for remote connection.
                No. JConsole is a Java application, it needs the full JRE to run.
                • 5. Re: Install JMX agent service?
                  Kayaman
                  ipkiss wrote:
                  Do you mean without the JDK? J2SE is the Java 2 Standard Edition. Without that it's pretty hard to do anything java related.
                  • 6. Re: Install JMX agent service?
                    DrClap
                    It's possible you could write a JMX client (like JConsole) in some other language, but if I had to choose between doing that and installing Java on my machine so I could just use JConsole, I sure wouldn't be spending the six months to port JConsole to C++. Just install J2SE and get on with your life.