9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 11:00 PM by EJP

HD Serial Number

Hi,

Is there any class or any java API that allows get some hardware information such as HD Serial Number, RAM or anything like that ?!

Thanks
      Marco
        • 1. Re: HD Serial Number
          PhHein
          Nope, not that I know. Wrong programming language. The closer you get to hardware the further you are away from Java.
          • 2. Re: HD Serial Number
            Ok friend, thanks.

Do you have any idea to protect your software against pirates ?

Thanks again!
            • 3. Re: HD Serial Number
              maazevedo wrote:
              Ok friend, thanks.

Thanks again!
              What kind of pirates are you worried about?

Basically the answer to your question is "you can't, and you probably have nothing to worry about anyway".
              • 4. Re: HD Serial Number
                kevinaworkman wrote:
                maazevedo wrote:
                Ok friend, thanks.

Thanks again!
                What kind of pirates are you worried about?

Basically the answer to your question is "you can't, and you probably have nothing to worry about anyway".
                Hi,

I mean an unauthorized copy.

Imagine you've installed the application in your customer server.A bad guy in your customer copy your application and install in another company without your permission.

PS: Sorry, I'm a begginer in English yet.
                • 5. Re: HD Serial Number
                  maazevedo wrote:

Imagine you've installed the application in your customer server.A bad guy in your customer copy your application and install in another company without your permission.
                  How often do you really think this will happen? How much damage will really be done to you (actual money lost) as a result? How much time and money are you willing to spend to prevent this?

You can take some basic steps to make it somewhat inconvenient to use the software without permission, but you can't stop 100% of it, and there's no reason to try. Make sure you have a contract that doesn't allow your customer to make unauthorized copies. If there's a rogue employee that steals a copy here or there, so what? If this guy then starts selling thousands of copies on the black market and doing real financial damage to your company, you can use the law to find and punish him.
                  • 6. Re: HD Serial Number
                    And imagine for a moment that you can get the HD serial number, and you use that to prevent it from being run from anywhere but that HD. I bought your product a year ago, paid for it, am using it completely legally. A few weeks ago, my hard drive died, and I had to get a new one. Now I cannot use the product that I paid for. Would I want to do business with your company again?

Meanwhile, somebody has purchased one copy and installed it on a shared drive that's accessible by all 500 employees of his company. They're all running it from the same HD, so your "protection" does nothing to help you here.
                    • 7. Re: HD Serial Number
                      jverd wrote:
                      maazevedo wrote:

How often do you really think this will happen? How much damage will really be done to you (actual money lost) as a result? How much time and money are you willing to spend to prevent this?

You can take some basic steps to make it somewhat inconvenient to use the software without permission, but you can't stop 100% of it, and there's no reason to try. Make sure you have a contract that doesn't allow your customer to make unauthorized copies. If there's a rogue employee that steals a copy here or there, so what? If this guy then starts selling thousands of copies on the black market and doing real financial damage to your company, you can use the law to find and punish him.
                      Interesting point of view jverd. Maybe it doesnt compensate all of the work that it's needed.

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: HD Serial Number
                        maazevedo wrote:
                        Ok friend, thanks.

Thanks again!
                        Don't distribute your software so that it runs on a client's machine at all, other than a minimal front end that must communicate to a central server where the real work is done. (Web based applications is what I am driving at)
                        • 9. Re: HD Serial Number
                          EJP
                          jverd++

I've spent years of my life trying to convince businessmen that the objective isn't to stop people using your software. It is to get them to pay for it. Completely different problem, different attitude, different solutions.

Sadly they generally don't get it.