4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2009 10:41 AM by 796440 RSS

How do I find out what's my IP?

I'm trying to make a small chatroom using UDP client/server applications I made.

How do I find out what's my IP so my friends can cannot into my server and chat with me?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: How do I find out what's my IP?
          Most likely you have a private IP address, so unless your friends are in the same house as you using the same router, you'll need more than just your computer's IP address. You'll also need that of your router.

To get your computer's IP address, in Windows bring up a CMD prompt and type ifconfig. You'll probably see 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x.

Then you'll need to get your router's public IP address, which you can find out from its admin page.

Then you'll need to enable port forwarding.
          • 2. Re: How do I find out what's my IP?
            jverd wrote:
            Most likely you have a private IP address, so unless your friends are in the same house as you using the same router, you'll need more than just your computer's IP address. You'll also need that of your router.

To get your computer's IP address, in Windows bring up a CMD prompt and type ifconfig. You'll probably see 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x.

Then you'll need to get your router's public IP address, which you can find out from its admin page.

I thought the windows command was ipconfig ..... but it's been a long time since I've used windows, so my knowledge is likely dated and no longer relevant.

@OP I find it interesting that you decided to use UDP to write a chat client...
            • 3. Re: How do I find out what's my IP?
              It's indeed ipconfig. It's a common typo. I mistype it that way 1 of 10 times in CMD as well.
              • 4. Re: How do I find out what's my IP?
                Navy_Coder wrote:
                jverd wrote:

I thought the windows command was ipconfig
                Yup. My bad. I've been hopping back and forth between Windows and Linux a lot lately. My bad.