This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2009 2:53 PM by 807588 RSS

HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?

807588 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
If I have a HashMap (initialized and loaded) via static initialization of the class and I never write to it or modify it again, it is thread-safe for multiple read-only threads? In other words, I don't need to use synchronization or a synchronized map, do I?

I believe I should be OK since the JVM handles the static initialization at class loading time, which is guaranteed to only happen once, so the mapping should be created in a thread-safe manner. From then on, if I only read from it I should be OK, right?

Thanks!!
  • 1. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    791266 Explorer
    den2681 wrote:
    If I have a HashMap (initialized and loaded) via static initialization of the class and I never write to it or modify it again, it is thread-safe for multiple read-only threads? In other words, I don't need to use synchronization or a synchronized map, do I?

I believe I should be OK since the JVM handles the static initialization at class loading time, which is guaranteed to only happen once, so the mapping should be created in a thread-safe manner. From then on, if I only read from it I should be OK, right?
    It will probably work, but I think that you theoretically might run into problems.
  • 2. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    You can enforce the read-only nature with an [unmodifiable Map|http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Collections.html#unmodifiableMap(java.util.Map)].

~
  • 3. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    Thanks, I am wrapping my map via Collections.unmodifiableMap, but forget to mention it!
  • 4. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    kajbj wrote:
    den2681 wrote:

It will probably work, but I think that you theoretically might run into problems.
    What would you recommend then, for the least performance impact? ConcurrentHashMap?
  • 5. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    791266 Explorer
    (The theoretical problem is that you can execute on e.g. a multi core machine, and I don't think that anything says that the changes to the map must be written to main memory)
  • 6. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    kajbj wrote:
    (The theoretical problem is that you can execute on e.g. a multi core machine, and I don't think that anything says that the changes to the map must be written to main memory)
    So if I mark my "private static" initialization function as also being "synchronized", would that enforce that the map setup is flushed to main memory? I believe this happens when you exit a synchronized block/method...

Or could I simply mark my HashMap as being volatile?
  • 7. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    kajbj wrote:
    Since the Map is being initialized and loaded in a static block, that will happen during class loading, so all those "changes" will be there in the multi-core case.

I think the OP is saying that after class loading, the map is not modified, so the map will be thread-safe for reading operations. If you're paranoid, you could use ConcurrentHashMap.
  • 8. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    den2681 wrote:
    Or could I simply mark my HashMap as being volatile?
    That would gain you nothing since that only applies to the map reference, which I assume isn't changing.
  • 9. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    I'd probably just do
        //
        public static Map<String,String> MAP = Collections.unmodifiableMap(new HashMap<String,String>() {{
            put("key1","value1");
            put("key2","value2");
            put("key3","value3");
        }});
    Not that it matters how you do it; it will go in some class initialiser regardless and class loading is thread safe.
  • 10. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    791266 Explorer
    DrLaszloJamf wrote:
    kajbj wrote:
    Since the Map is being initialized and loaded in a static block, that will happen during class loading, so all those "changes" will be there in the multi-core case.

I think the OP is saying that after class loading, the map is not modified, so the map will be thread-safe for reading operations. If you're paranoid, you could use ConcurrentHashMap.
    Ah, ok.
  • 11. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    EJP Guru
    Err, practically anything I can think of is safe for multi-thread read-only operations ...
  • 12. Re: HashMap thread safe for multi-thread read-only operations?
    807588 Newbie
    ejp wrote:
    Err, practically anything I can think of is safe for multi-thread read-only operations ...
    Unless it's something that doesn't change the observable state but still mutates data between the sheets. For example, ArrayList's trimToSize .

Or a method causes some lazy operation to be triggered:
    class A {
        B b;

C getC() {
            if (b == null) {
                b = new B();
            }
            return b.getC();
        }
    }