This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2009 9:19 AM by 796447 RSS

Junit command line

807589 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
I'm trying to start a JUnit test from command line.
I've succesfully started it with the java org.junit.runner.JUnitCore MyClass
My problem is that I have my main class in a jar file. The manifest file is pointing to the correct main class but when i use
the java org.junit.runner.JUnitCore -jar myjarfile.jar i get these messages:
Couldn't find class -jar
Couldn;t find class myjarfile.jar
Is there any other way ?
Thanks
  • 1. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    The manifest is irrelevant here. So is the jar, really. It should just be a part of your runtime classpath, like Junit is. That is, don't bother using the -jar bit, that's what's causing your problem. Specifically, the JUnit runner is taking that switch as a commandline arg, and trying to load a class called -jar. Same goes for your jar itself.
  • 2. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    What do you mean the manifest is irrelevent?
    I kind of figure out that -jar and jarfile.jar are taken as arguments line (doh)
    I was kind of looking for a replacement for the org.junit.runner.JUnitCore that works with jar files
  • 3. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    this is in some way related to this :
    http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5308984
  • 4. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    jipada wrote:
    What do you mean the manifest is irrelevent?
    I kind of figure out that -jar and jarfile.jar are taken as arguments line (doh)
    Well they're not arguments that a JUnit runner takes. Doh.
    I was kind of looking for a replacement for the org.junit.runner.JUnitCore that works with jar files
    Figure it out for yourself, your sarcasm has bitten you on the @ss. That runner is perfectly adequate for your needs, by the way
  • 5. Re: Junit command line
    796447 Newbie
    jipada wrote:
    Hello
    I'm trying to start a JUnit test from command line.
    I've succesfully started it with the java org.junit.runner.JUnitCore MyClass
    My problem is that I have my main class in a jar file. The manifest file is pointing to the correct main class but when i use
    the java org.junit.runner.JUnitCore -jar myjarfile.jar i get these messages:
    Couldn't find class -jar
    Couldn;t find class myjarfile.jar
    Is there any other way ?
    Thanks
    You apparantly do not realize that switches (such as -jar) must be placed before the argument which specifies which class to run.
    But in this case, a -jar command line option is in direct conflict with a class name to run, because that would mean search the jar file for its manifest to figure out what class to run. You want a -classpath switch, not a -jar switch.
  • 6. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    Sarcasm was the last thing on my mind especially at that moment when I was in need of help, but your message just added to my frustration. I've put the jar file in the classpath and add the main class from the manifest file as the argument for junit runner. It works now. You could of said that cause I kind of suspect you knew. Anyway your messages helped. Thanks
  • 7. Re: Junit command line
    807589 Newbie
    jipada wrote:
    Sarcasm was the last thing on my mind especially at that moment when I was in need of help
    Really? Then I must have misunderstood you. If so, my apologies.
    but your message just added to my frustration. I've put the jar file in the classpath and add the main class from the manifest file as the argument for junit runner. It works now. You could of said that cause I kind of suspect you knew. Anyway your messages helped. Thanks
    I did say that. Apart from the "main class from the manifest" bit, which I have no way of knowing, and, in all honesty, is wrong in all but the most simple of cases. Your jar probably consists of more than just the one class, and a fair number of those would be tested, no?

Anyways, you got your solution, which is the main thing