4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2008 8:06 PM by DrClap RSS

I get a strange NullPointerException when using a recursive method

I found a code snippet that uses a recursive method for searhing files in folders and subfolders, but I get a NullPointerException when the path is set to "C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents", but it works if the path is set to "C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents\\Java".

Why this extremly strange behaviour?

import javax.swing.*;

import javax.swing.tree.*;

import java.io.*;

public class DIC extends JFrame{

public DIC() {

DefaultMutableTreeNode master = new DefaultMutableTreeNode("Node Title");

JTree tree = new JTree(master);

JScrollPane scroll = new JScrollPane(tree);

this.setSize(200,400);

this.getContentPane().add(scroll);

// pass the directory that you wish to list the contents

listAllFiles("C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents\\Java",  master, true);         // Works
                     // listAllFiles("C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents",  master, true);         // Throws an exception

setVisible(true);
                      pack();

}

/*

* @params: String directory ~ the directory to scan

* @params: DefaultMutableTreeNode parent ~ the node to add any files as children

* @params: Boolean recursive ~ determine whether to scan all subdirectories, or just the parent

*/

public static void listAllFiles(String directory, DefaultMutableTreeNode parent, Boolean recursive) {

File [] children = new File(directory).listFiles(); // list all the files in the directory

for (int i = 0; i < children.length; i++) { // loop through each

DefaultMutableTreeNode node = new DefaultMutableTreeNode(children.getName());

// only display the node if it isn't a folder, and if this is a recursive call

if (children[i].isDirectory() && recursive) {

parent.add(node); // add as a child node
      listAllFiles(children[i].getPath(), node, true); // call again for the subdirectory

} else if (!children[i].isDirectory()){ // otherwise, if it isn't a directory

parent.add(node); // add it as a node and do nothing else

}

}

}
      public static void main(String[] args)
      {
                     new DIC();
                }

}
        • 1. Re: I get a strange NullPointerException when using a recursive method
          JoachimSauer
          Roxxor wrote:
          I found a code snippet that uses a recursive method for searhing files in folders and subfolders, but I get a NullPointerException when the path is set to "C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents", but it works if the path is set to "C:\\Users\\Roxxor\\Documents\\Java".
          Always post the complete stack trace when you get an exception. Otherwise we'll be forced to guess and our crystal balls have been kind of unreliable lately.
          • 2. Re: I get a strange NullPointerException when using a recursive method
            The stack trace:
            java.lang.NullPointerException
                    at DIC.listAllFiles(DIC.java:50)
                    at DIC.listAllFiles(DIC.java:59)
                    at DIC.<init>(DIC.java:26)
                    at DIC.main(DIC.java:74)
            I changed the listAllFiles method to print the stack trace:
            public static void listAllFiles(String directory, DefaultMutableTreeNode parent, Boolean recursive) {
                           try{

File [] children = new File(directory).listFiles(); // list all the files in the directory

for (int i = 0; i < children.length; i++) { // loop through each

DefaultMutableTreeNode node = new DefaultMutableTreeNode(children.getName());

// only display the node if it isn't a folder, and if this is a recursive call

if (children[i].isDirectory() && recursive) {

parent.add(node); // add as a child node
            listAllFiles(children[i].getPath(), node, true); // call again for the subdirectory

} else if (!children[i].isDirectory()){ // otherwise, if it isn't a directory

parent.add(node); // add it as a node and do nothing else

}

}
                           }catch(NullPointerException err) { err.printStackTrace(); }

}

• 3. Re: I get a strange NullPointerException when using a recursive method
              listFiles returns null if you don't give it a directory.
              I suggest you use a debugger to trace the problem.
              • 4. Re: I get a strange NullPointerException when using a recursive method
                DrClap
                The signature of your method causes you to have to do a lot of converting between String and File objects. This is rather clumsy. I don't know if that is your problem, but simplifying the code never hurts.