2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2008 11:22 AM by 807603

CPU usage problem profiling issues

Hi,

I've encounter a problem in my application (file server) that occurs sometimes in a production environment that i am having difficulty (do not know how) to reproduce otherwise.

If i run hprof to see where all the CPU is in the production it starts with problematic CPU usage and hprof in any other environment does not help since i cannot reproduce the problem so i'm kinda stuck.

Is there a way to see where all the CPU goes in a stressed environment without changing the CPU usage - can be another profiler that does not affect the CPU or adding some information to the program?

Thanks,
      Snayit
        • 1. Re: CPU usage problem profiling issues
          Profiling something will always have an effect on things
          • 2. Re: CPU usage problem profiling issues
            Yes, i am sure, but is there some way to do the profiling without reaching 100% CPU? I am willing to have an effect of 20% or so, because when the application is not having any problem it runs in ~30% CPU and there are few minutes where it reaches 100 and then back to normal.

I thought about displaying the stack trace of each thread so statistically i will be able to know where each thread "hangs out", or using a profiler that has a minimal effect (and or).

Is there a profiler i can use?