2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 9:52 AM by 825684 RSS

Graphic Performance Question

This is more theoretical than an actual problem in need of a solution.

I'm making a 3D surface out of quads based on an array of height data. One way I can do it is to have each quad be its own object. The other way is to make a single huge object with strips of quads. I suspect the second method is faster. My question is: how much of a performance hit would I take by using the first method? Or is it all pixels by the time it gets to the scenegraph and the canvas with no difference at all?

Yes, I could test it, but I expect someone else already knows the answer. It seems to me method one simplifies location selection, texture application, and shape modification (digging holes and such).
        • 1. Re: Graphic Performance Question
          Darryl Burke
          Moderator action: Moved from Java Programming.

This is the third thread of yours I have had to move to this forum. In future, please take adequate care to post in a forum appropriate to the question.

db
          • 2. Re: Graphic Performance Question
            The performance only matters if you are doing an application on a grand scale. If you are doing a project for school or friends you should choose the simpler one.

<a class="jive-accountbox-old" href="http://www.jocurile.us/joaca/jocuri-3d.html">jocuri 3d</a>

Edited by: 822681 on Dec 21, 2010 7:50 AM