6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2007 6:00 AM by 807605 RSS

Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date

Hi there,

As the subject state. I have a problem which is to show all consultation bean objects whose deadline date (java.util.Date) is within a month of the current date.

Any ideas much appreciated,
        • 1. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
          Use the GregorianCalendar class.
          • 2. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
            As the subject state. I have a problem which is to
            show all objects whose date (java.util.Date) is within a month of the
            current date.
            You haven't really defined your problem enough. Is that all dates within 30 days, 31 days, 28 days? Or are you saying that if it is the 5th of Feb, then I'm interested in all before 5th of March?

You can use the java.util.Calendar class to do date "arithmetic" and then get Date objects which you can compare... Post some code and we'll help you
            • 3. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
              I agree in the brief reply above.

Past or future? The following method tests if a date is between today (say, Sept 8) and a month later (say, October 8, inclusive). Go ahead and modify it to your needs.
                public static boolean withinAMonth(Date d)
                { Calendar thisDayOfMonth = new GregorianCalendar(); // today
                  Calendar test = new GregorianCalendar();
                  test.setTime(d);
                  if (thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.YEAR) == test.get(Calendar.YEAR)
                      && thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.MONTH) == test.get(Calendar.MONTH)
                      && thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH) <= test.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH))
                      // later this month
                  { return true;
                  }
                  thisDayOfMonth.add(Calendar.MONTH, 1); // go to same day next month
                  return thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.YEAR) == test.get(Calendar.YEAR)
                      && thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.MONTH) == test.get(Calendar.MONTH)
                      && thisDayOfMonth.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH) >= test.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH);
                }
              • 4. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
                oxbow_lakes is right, my code may display slightly unexpected behaviour if you run it on, say, January 30, since there is no February 30. It may be fine for some purposes, certainly will be unacceptable for others. As I said, modify it to your own needs.

Thanks,
                Ole
                • 5. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
                  One more thing, to work correctly in all cases, my code should also check if the ERA of the two Calendar objects is the same.
                  Ole
                  • 6. Re: Checking a Date is within a month of the current Date
                    I know I'm reviving an old thread now. I just happened to look at my code again and think it was unnecessarily complicated. So here's a new attempt (not thoroughly tested):
                      public static boolean withinAMonth(Date d)
                      { 
                        // System.out.println(DateFormat.getDateInstance().format(d));
                        Calendar thisDayOfMonth = new GregorianCalendar(); // today
                        Calendar test = new GregorianCalendar();
                        test.setTime(d);
                        if (test.before(thisDayOfMonth))
                        { return false;
                        }
                        thisDayOfMonth.add(Calendar.MONTH, 1); // go to same day next month
                        return ! test.after(thisDayOfMonth);
                      }