3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2007 6:07 PM by 807606 RSS

Sudoku algorithm

Hi. I have a small problem. I attend to a java-programming class in a university in Norway, and we've got this assignment that we have to do in order to be able to take the final exam. I'm not nearly finished, and in I have to deliver it in like 5 hours. So we're supposed to make a java-program that solves a sudoku, and we're supposed to use this algorithm:
      http://www.menneske.no/sudoku/eng/reducingmethodsdc.html
      My problem is that i don't see how I can code this into java. I dunno where to start. I have a method for finding the number of allowed numbers in the different cells in a row, colum or box, and also a method for finding the allowed numbers in the cells. What I need is some kind of outline on how to write this algorithm in java. Like what control flow statements do I use, and how do i nest and use them etc. (I'm not very experienced in java.)
      Can anyone help me out?
        • 1. Re: Sudoku algorithm
          Looks like you are stuffed unless you can take a reasonable excuse to your examiner. Nobody here is going to write the program for you - that would be helping you cheat.
          • 2. Re: Sudoku algorithm
            Create a two dimensional array
            int[ ][ ] array = new int[10][10];
            add whatever the numbers in the board are supposed to be.

then something sort of like this:
            int number, number2, number3;

array[1][3] = number;
            array[1][5] = number2;
            array[3][5] = number3;

for(int i=0; i < 10; i++)
            {
                 for(int j=0; j < 10; j++)
                 {
                      if(array[i][j] == number || array[i][j] == number2 || array[i][j] == number3)
                      {
                            array[i][j] = 0;
                      }
                  }//for(columns)
            }//for(rows)
            something like that, you'll have to tinker with it and figure out other stuff
            • 3. Re: Sudoku algorithm
              Thx shlumph. I'll try that! :)

sabre150: I'm not asking you to write the program for me, I just need some help to get stardet.