1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2007 5:05 PM by 796440 RSS

What is an abstract class?

What is an abstract class and what does it do compare to other classes?

I'm having some trouble trying to understand it.

Message was edited by:
      xc100
        • 1. Re: What is an abstract class?
          http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+an+abstract+class?

Let us know what you don't understand.

~
          • 2. Re: What is an abstract class?
            From what I know an abstract class is almost like an interface but also allows you to write full coded methods. Now the way that it is like an interface is that you can write an abstract method that is required to be implemented in every class that extends that abstract class.

Hope that helps
            • 3. Re: What is an abstract class?
              http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/IandI/abstract.html

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=abstract+class&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
              • 4. Re: What is an abstract class?
                From what I know an abstract class is almost like an
                interface
                The purpose of an abstract class is to be extended. The methods it defines are implemented to a varying degree, from all to none.
                • 5. Re: What is an abstract class?
                  From what I know an abstract class is almost like
                  an
                  interface
                  The purpose of an abstract class is to be extended.
                  The methods it defines are implemented to a varying
                  degree, from all to none.
                  Do you think this definition of yours would help? It would only make him raise another 100 odd questions, which i am sure would otherwise be nil or at the max a few questions if he has given the links a peek? The links are a better option which you seem to have overlooked.
                  • 6. Re: What is an abstract class?
                    Do you think this definition of yours would help? It
                    would only make him raise another 100 odd questions,
                    which i am sure would otherwise be nil or at the max
                    a few questions if he has given the links a peek? The
                    links are a better option which you seem to have
                    overlooked.
                    Well, then both of us did what we thought best, and I'm not going to tell you to take your bloody links and shove them, even though I'm tempted.
                    • 7. Re: What is an abstract class?
                      Well, then both of us did what we thought best, and
                      I'm not going to tell you to take your bloody links
                      and shove them, even though I'm tempted.
                      Is it not obvious that the OP is a worthless troll? Furthermore, if he really were looking for help, which he is not, would it not be more beneficial for him to discover how to answer his questions on his own?
                      • 8. Re: What is an abstract class?
                        s it not obvious that the OP is a worthless troll?
                        Looking at his/her recent posts, I wouldn't say so.
                        S/he looks like a newbie who is asking basic questions
                        and is rather reluctant to follow links or read tutorial pages,
                        but I haven't seen actual troll behaviour.
                        • 9. Re: What is an abstract class?
                          Well, then both of us did what we thought best, and
                          I'm not going to tell you to take your bloody links
                          and shove them, even though I'm tempted.
                          The usual temper, eh?
                          • 10. Re: What is an abstract class?
                            Is it not obvious that the OP is a worthless troll?
                            Furthermore, if he really were looking for help,
                            which he is not, would it not be more beneficial for
                            him to discover how to answer his questions on his
                            own?
                            One can never know really and it's unfair to judge someone unheard. That's why I usually start by giving a very brief reply to invite to a dialog.

And it's not just about replying to the OP. Sometimes a discussion of general interest develops even from a seemingly trivial question.

Don't forget that the answers to 99% of the questions asked at this forum, including this one, easily can be found in The Java Programming Language. If you would filter out these there wouldn't be much left really.
                            • 11. Re: What is an abstract class?
                              That's why I usually start by giving
                              a very brief reply to invite to a dialog.
                              All your posts have excessive verbiage not to mention from the very first reply. I am not saying it's wrong. I was just pointing out against your above statement. One can't call 12-15 lines of gibberish, brief.

null
                              • 12. Re: What is an abstract class?
                                s it not obvious that the OP is a worthless troll?
                                Looking at his/her recent posts, I wouldn't say so.
                                S/he looks like a newbie who is asking basic
                                questions
                                and is rather reluctant to follow links or read
                                tutorial pages,
                                but I haven't seen actual troll behaviour.
                                My first impression was that this was another Charles_Bronson, due to the countless threads that ask basic, open-ended questions.

Then again, CB never posted any actual code, so who knows?
                                One can never know really and it's unfair to judge someone unheard. That's >why I usually start by giving a very brief reply to invite to a dialog.

And it's not just about replying to the OP. Sometimes a discussion of >general interest develops even from a seemingly trivial question.
                                I see your point. However, the discussions that seem to stem from these types of threads seem to be irrelevant to Java, if you know what I mean.
                                • 13. Re: What is an abstract class?
                                  My first impression was that this was another Charles_Bronson
                                  Chuckie's posts seemed to quickly devolve to insults, and I haven't seem that yet from xc100. But I could be wrong.
                                  • 14. Re: What is an abstract class?
                                    My first impression was that this was another
                                    Charles_Bronson

Chuckie's posts seemed to quickly devolve to insults,
                                    and I haven't seem that yet from xc100. But I could
                                    be wrong.
                                    That's true, but I've never seen anyone on the forums who cannot look at a tutorial and continues to post open-ended threads (I've definitely seen people who won't look at the tutorial, but they tend to get angry with the "lack of help" and never return).

CB's posts were absolutely hilarious. I wish when Sun banned him (numerous times) they didn't delete all his posts. I loved the ones about him "coming home from the interview fuming" and getting angry and such because he didn't "know the exact words but knew the concepts". Classic.
                                    1 2 Previous Next