2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2006 8:27 PM by EJP RSS

basic JNDI question

Hi,

Question 1:
      ----------------
      I know Sun is a vendor who provides JNDI download
      http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/downloads/index.html

does IBM , BEA etc provides JNDI service.....could you please name couple of service providers who offers JNDI download ?

Question 2:
      ----------------

How does this JNDI service starts ? this is a service ...right ?
      so, this needs to be started and stopped ......who does this ?

is it when JVM starts ...then only service starts and when JVM is terminated then it stops ?

the question i am asking because we can use JNDI service both on a standalone java program and also for an application server (this is mostly used) .....so i am bit curious how this service gets started and when it goes down ? who administers this in this two cases ?
        • 1. Re: basic JNDI question
          Read the "about JNDI" pages on Sun.

Anyway, JNDI is just the extension API for Java-based programming access to local and remote network information servers (NIS). The "service" is actually a server that provides protocol access to multiple hosted services.

LDAP, ActiveDirectory, etc. are all NIS servers. However, without having to know the exacts of each of these servers, a client using JNDI can "query" the machine for information. In fact, a file system is an information service itself.

I could query an MS server for "guest" and be returned an LDAP entry for the user, or a MSX e-mail address, or some the file or folder on the hard drive with that name, etc.

I don't need access or knowledge of each server - LDAP, Microsoft Exchange, the local file system (i.e. NTFS, FAT, etc), I just query the service and it comes back.

NIS servers are basically just a shell that allows for one protocol to access the information contained by many other services that use many different protocols.

So yes, Question 1: Any organization, business, person that sells a POP3 e-mail server, an LDAP directory server, various 'directory' servers, etc. all provide NIS Servers that can be queried by an NIS service.

Q2: When the JVM starts, JNDI service is setup, and if properly configured, can connect to LDAP, ActiveDirectory, etc. When the JVM shutsdown, the NDI service shutsdown.
          • 2. Re: basic JNDI question
            EJP
            Bzzt WTJ wrong again, wot a surprise. JNDI is not a server and it is not started or shut-down by the JVM. It is an API.

@OP: JNDI is now built into the JDK since 1.4 I think. There are various 'service providers', e.g. Novell, and the ones you've mentioned.