4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 6:31 PM by 807576 RSS

Ramdisk read error

While working on the Wishbone bridge we made smaller ramdisk (16 MBytes) to fit in the onboard NOR flash device. While booting, we are getting the following:

Loading initial ramdisk (8161280 bytes at 0x2000000 phys, 0x40C00000 virt)...
      Read error on block 16237 (tries 150528, got 4294967295)

Read error on block 16237 (tries 150528, got 4294967295)

Error loading /initrd.img

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
        • 1. Re: Ramdisk read error
          Hi there.

Did you ever end up determining the cause of this problem? I've had it occur a number of times when I've built new kernels and ramdisks, but I have yet to find what's wrong.

I've been working with a T1 FPGA, running a custom 2.6.32 Linux kernel. The kernel I'm currently using is almost identical to one that I installed on our SunFire T1000 server, with a few modifications made to accommodate the FPGA (including rewritten sunhv_net and sunhv_disk drivers). The default, full kernel works fine, but if I try to skim down the kernel (by, say, removing sound support), I get this error when I boot.

Thanks for your help.

• 2. Re: Ramdisk read error

I suppose a cause of the error is something in SILO. I check the number of second.b sector when I make image of disk. If the number is too small (< 0x1000 f.e.) the error happend. Perhaps latest SILO version doesn't have the feature.

What kind of network driver do you use for 2.6.32 kernel on T1 FPGA board?

Edited by: Alexis_VM on Jun 28, 2010 1:58 AM
            • 3. Re: Ramdisk read error

I agree that it's probably related to SILO. I made some changes to the scripts I have that build the ramdisk, and that seemed to fix it. Originally, I replaced the boot/silo.conf file with my own version that removed the "quiet" boot option, ensuring that the kernel booted verbosely. I changed it so the script used `sed` to remove "quiet" from the original file, and that seemed to fix my problem. At least, I haven't encountered this error since, and I can only assume that it was some change I made to the scripts that did this.

As for the network driver, I'm using the sunhv_net driver that comes with the OpenSPARC code. I only had to modify/update it for the 2.6.32 kernel (since it was written for the 2.6.22 kernel). I had to update a few functions and structs, I believe; nothing major. I should also note that we're not using the network driver right now, so I have no idea if it works.

• 4. Re:disk read error  ...  Random-Access-Memory?
                Out of memory?