This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2010 1:29 PM by 813118 RSS

AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region

813118 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I can't find a 64-bit AMI for Oracle Database 11 Standard Edition in the Asia Pacific region. What is the proper way to find such an image or request such an image if there isn't one?

To date, my team has deployed its product in the US East region using ami-3f739c56 owned by 725966715235 (the Oracle team). But now, we have a customer in Asia and need to deploy the same image in the Asia Pacific region. I found the equivalent 32 bit image in the Asia Pacific region, but history as shown that we need the 64 bit version.

Suggestions are welcome.
  • 1. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    691822 Newbie
    There is none in the APAC region.

The only way to proceed is to copy AMI and EBS cross regions.
  • 2. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    813118 Newbie
    I invite you to believe that this is not the only way to proceed. I need to reach someone in Oracle who actually cares about Amazon cloud computing.

Oracle cannot afford to have their customers use images of questionable origin, perhaps damaged, corrupted, or malicious. Oracle's own white paper (at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/cloud/oracle-aws-getting-started-twp-171089.pdf) specifies that you use images "identified by their owner id: 725966715235".

I have to believe that this situation is simply an oversight, but I don't know how to reach someone who can fix it.
  • 3. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    691822 Newbie
    I invite you to believe in our past experience not in words and talks.
  • 4. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    813118 Newbie
    OK, Mr Experience. :-) I'm willing to pick up the slack when Oracle fails to implement a sane strategy.

So tell me this: When I migrate my image to the Asia Pacific region, what do I specify for the kernel ID and the ramdisk ID when the image in the US East region uses the values listed below?

Kernel ID: aki-0d9f7b64
    Ramdisk ID: ari-369f7b5f

I issued ec2-migrate-manifest but it failed with "ERROR: Mapping for 'aki-0d9f7b64' not found." I know the rule is to find an AMI similar to the new one and use its identifiers, but I can't find a 64 bit Oracle Linux AMI in ap-southeast-1. Any advice?
  • 5. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    691822 Newbie
    I found a better solution than using AWS API to copy the AMI is to use Cloudy_Scripts to copy AMI to different region, the script will ease the kernel and ram match.

You can use the hosted script on their website or you can launch your AMI and run your own instance if you concern about security their AMI is ami-6541ae0c , I have been using them for a while they are reliable and secure.

You need to provide your private key, Amazon secret key and other information for the region you want to create the AMI for.

Here is the link https://cloudyscripts.com/tool/show/5

Hopefully Oracle will hire someone to look at their cloud promises.
  • 6. Re: AMI for 64-bit Oracle needed in Asia Pacific region
    813118 Newbie
    No joy.

The tool at https://cloudyscripts.com/tool/show/5 fails because when it attempts to log-in as root to an Oracle instance created from ami-3f739c56, the connection fails. This failure occurs because the instance initialization may go on 15 minutes or longer before it will be ready to accept an ssh login.

I reported this problem using the CloudyScripts feedback and received a quick response. They are aware of the problem, but have a higher priority task they must finish before they fix the problem. Their proposed fix is to add a timeout value to the script's menu so a user can supply a sufficiently large value when the default value is inappropriate.

My personal attempts to find an AKI and ARI identifier in the Asia Pacific region have failed. I found a candidate and supplied the appropriate values. I can transfer the image and register the image, but any instance created from the image will not accept ssh connections.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points