This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 2:24 PM by 719190 RSS

Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?

612311 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
DB Version:11.2.0.2
Number of Nodes : 2

I've succesfully completed Grid installation. I've created Disk groups for OCR, Voting and Datafiles. These diskgroups were succefully mounted by both ASM instances. I created the DB using DBCA. I can log in to Node1's instance, then created users, tablespaces etc. But Instance 2 is down. When i try to startup the node seems to be hung.

Grid's alert log shows lots of
CRS-5014: Agent "/u02/grid/bin/oraagent.bin" timed out starting process "/u02/grid/bin/acfsload"
I didn't create any ASM Cluster File system using ASMCA. Is this mandatory? If this is mandatory, how come i have one instance up and running without ACFS?
  • 1. Re: Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?
    Oviwan Pro
    acfs is not mandatory. you should be able to start the second instance .

hth
  • 2. Re: Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi,

ACFS is not mandatory to use, but is mandatory to install and config ACFS (drivers).

The Oracle ACFS drivers resource (ora.drivers.acfs) is created by the Grid Infrastructure root script that is run following the Grid Infrastructure installation. The Oracle ASM instance resource (ora.asm) names the drivers resource as a weak dependency. Consequently, the start action for the drivers resource is also called whenever the start action for the ora.asm resource is issued. The start action for the drivers resource includes support for loading the Oracle ACFS, Oracle ADVM, and Oracle Kernel Services Driver (OKS) drivers into the operating system.

The Oracle ASM instance is started during the Grid Infrastructure installation process whenever Oracle Clusterware Registry (OCR) and the voting files are configured within an Oracle ASM disk group. In that case, the Oracle ACFS drivers are initially loaded during Grid Infrastructure Installation based on the resource dependency. The Oracle ASM instance can also be started using the Oracle ASM Configuration Assistant and the Oracle ACFS drivers are loaded based on that action. In steady state mode, the Oracle ACFS drivers are automatically loaded during Oracle Clusterware initialization when the Oracle High Availability Services Daemon (OHASD) calls the start action for the Oracle ASM instance resource that also results in loading the Oracle ACFS drivers due to the resource dependency relationship. The start action for the Oracle ACFS drivers resource attempts to load the Oracle ACFS, Oracle ADVM, and OKS drivers into the native operating system.

My advice is:
    Even if you do not use the feature ACFS try to solve this problem.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16102/asmfs_extra.htm

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
    http://levipereira.wordpress.com
  • 3. Re: Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?
    612311 Newbie
    Thank you Ovivan, Levi
  • 4. Re: Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?
    Allan Newbie
    The drivers timing out will not have an effect on the rest of the stack starting. Suggest doing a crsctl stat res -t to see what the state of the other resources are. Are there other messages in the alert logs regarding the instance startup?
  • 5. Re: Is ACFS mandatory in 11GR2?
    719190 Newbie
    Is there a way to not install ACFS, ADVM and OKS during a custom install? I hadn't planned on using any of this functionality, and it installed anyways. It is causing a kernel panic on my Solaris LDOMs.

--R                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points