11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2010 2:54 PM by user161771 - oracle RSS

Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control

Hi,

We're trying to troubleshoot some JDBC issues that we're having with 10.3 and I had thought that we could access the mbeans from JRockit Mission control to raise alerts but I can't seem to find any of the WebLogic server mbeans in the console. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brett
        • 1. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
          user161771 - oracle
          Which versions of WLS and JRockit are you using?

Sometime relatively recently the WebLogic MBeans were made available as Platform MBeans, but I can't recall when. I think there is a way to configure WLS to use platform MBeans even in advance of that becoming the default behavior.
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14571_01/web.1111/e13728/understandwls.htm#BABGGAJE
          • 2. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
            Hi James,

We are using:

jrockit_160_14_R27.6.5-32
            WLS 10.3
            Mission Control 4.0

-Brett
            • 3. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
              user161771 - oracle
              Do you mean 10.3.0?

If so, see this part of the documentation:
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12840_01/wls/docs103/jmxinst/designapp.html#UsingJVMPlatformMBeanServer
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12840_01/wls/docs103/wlsmbeanref/mbeans/JMXMBean.html
              • 4. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                <Version: WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0 Tue Oct 20 12:16:15 PDT 2009 1267925 >

I've upgraded to Mission Control 4.0.1 as well in an attempt to see if that works better. I guess my confusion is why I don't see WebLogic specific MBeans in the MBean Browser within Mission Control. With the 4.0.1 release I see example triggers that use an MBean path "com.bea:ApplicationRuntime=stockEar,Name=examplesServer_/stock,ServerRuntime=examplesServer,Type=WebAppComponentRuntime" but I don't see any com.bea packages in the MBean Browser.

I would assume that from Mission Control I would be able to access the "JDBCSystemResourceMBean" and see it's attributes and operations but no luck. From the links you've posted (thanks for the MBean reference that's a great link) I'm gathering that I need to enable the WebLogic server to be configured as the "Platform MBean Server". Can this be set in the console?

Thanks for the taking the time to help.

-Brett
                • 5. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                  user161771 - oracle
                  I don't have that release on my machine, but try:

Domain->Configuration->General->Advanced
                  and see if you have attributes for:
                  Platform MBean Server Enabled
                  Platform MBean Server Used

If so, turn them on. I'm pretty sure you'll need to reboot for them to take effect.
                  • 6. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                    Hi,
                    If you don't see the "com.bea" package tree then you are running on the other MBeanServer (there are at least 2 running on WebLogic) - try the other one.

[EL Finer]: 2010-12-07 15:18:58.978--ServerSession(54608908)--Thread(Thread[[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)',5,Pooled Threads])--JMX MBeanServer instance found: [weblogic.management.jmx.mbeanserver.WLSMBeanServer@2e38454], # of beans: [488], domain: [base_domain] at index: [0].
                    for
                    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=181131&action=diff#foundation/org.eclipse.persistence.core/src/org/eclipse/persistence/platform/server/wls/WebLogic_10_Platform.java_sec5

The following page has some details on connecting to WebLogic via either JRMC or JConsole.
                    http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/WebLogic_Web_Tutorial#JMX_MBeans_on_WebLogic_via_JRockit_Mission_Control_.28JRMC.29
                    Note: I also have the "Anonymous Admin Lookup Enabled" flag set so you can see them in certain situations whether connecting to a local or remote process.
                    http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/WebLogic_Web_Tutorial#JMX_MBeans_on_WebLogic_via_SUN_JConsole
                    You should see something like the following screen capture for JRMC
                    http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/DesignDocs/316513#Option_2:_Direct_factory_reference_via_JMX_API

thank you
                    /michael
                    http://www.eclipselink.org
                    • 7. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                      Hi Michael,

So these should be the MBean Servers:

Domain Runtime MBean Server - weblogic.management.mbeanservers.domainruntime
                      Runtime MBean Server- weblogic.management.mbeanservers.runtime
                      Edit MBean Server - weblogic.management.mbeanservers.edit

I attempted to use a "Custom JMX Service URL" in JRockit Mission Control (the default is service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://<host>:<port>/jmxrmi) based on my belief that I need to connect to one of the MBean Server instances above but it doesn't like the URL's I've tried. service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://<host>:<port>/jndi/weblogic.management.mbeanservers.runtime

Based on the links you provided, I also tried setting the "Anonymous Admin Lookup" to true and restarted the server but still have the same result.

Also tried JConsole which connects but shows the same set of MBeans that JRMC shows.

Still seems like I'm missing something, shouldn't the default jmxrmi allow browsing of something within WebLogic?

-Brett
                      • 8. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                        Set the values as you indicated but received the following in startup:

<Dec 7, 2010 5:38:08 PM EST> <Warning> <Management> <BEA-141277> <The JMX MBean PlatformMBeanServerUsed attribute is true, but the Platform MBeanServer was created without the hooks for the WLS security infrastructure. The Platform MBeanServer will NOT be used and Platform MBeans will NOT be available via the WLS Runtime or Domain Runtime MBeanServers. This can occur if you have defined Platform MBeanServer system properties or JVM options (-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote or JRockit -XManagement).
                        To allow the Platform MBeanServer to be used, you must either remove the system properties/JVM options or start WLS with the following system property:
                        -Djavax.management.builder.initial=weblogic.management.jmx.mbeanserver.WLSMBeanServerBuilder
                        If you want to eliminate this log error and do not need Platform MBeans to be available via WLS, then set the PlatformMBeanUsed attribute in the JMXMBean to false.>

So I would need to turn of the JRockit -XManagement which would then disable JRockit Mission Control from being able to connect?

-Brett
                        • 9. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                          user161771 - oracle
                          Well, have you tried setting this JVM option as described in the message?
                          -Djavax.management.builder.initial=weblogic.management.jmx.mbeanserver.WLSMBeanServerBuilder

If you have an Oracle support contract, I would file a support case at this point. You're very close, you simply need someone to get you over the finish line. Good luck.
                          • 10. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                            Thanks James, success!

Adding the parameter does allow JRMC to connect to the 10.3 server and view the com.bea packages within the MBean browser. I was able to also verify that this is a change in behavior between WLS 10.0 and 10.3. Connecting JRMC to a 10.0 server and these values are available by default. Thanks again for your assistance.

-Brett
                            • 11. Re: Accessing JMX values via JRockit Mission Control
                              user161771 - oracle
                              Great! I'm glad to hear it worked. Hopefully this forum post helps others that run into this.