This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2011 9:00 AM by 877571 RSS

Looking towards a Build/Release engineer position

822399 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everybody!

I'm glad I found this forum as I was in a search of more information related to this job.

I'm currently working for a fairly big consumer electronics company in Canada. I've been with them for several years and hold a couple different positions in the company. I started from the Support Representative position and then worked at maintaining the information stored in a database.
I have always been interested in a position that is closer to development and to the world of computer science. I don't hold a degree in CS although I started a University program in CS back in the days.

Long story short, I have CS knowledge in different programming languages (not too many and not a lot of it) and lots of experience in technical troubleshooting and I mean lots!! :)

Recently my company opened a position for a Build/Release engineer and I am very interested in catching this opportunity.

My questions are:
1) Can B/R Engineer be an entry level position? Meaning that u never done the job but there are plenty of ppl and resources around to get you started;
2) Is there a lot of coding involved in this position? I know there is scripting but what else in terms of actual coding
3) What are the most important tools that I should have knowledge of. I'm talking about the ones used industry wide. I know my company has some custom (in-house) built tools for that but what are other companies using?
4) What would be your advise for the interview? What should I have prepared and what areas of my experience, work ethics and capabilities should I emphasize on and what should I be quiet about?
5) Any other information that you think could help me getting this position.

I'm really looking forward for this opportunity and I will return to the forum to get more of your guidance once I have secured the position.

Thank you very much for all your valuable input!

Regards,
V
  • 1. Re: Looking towards a Build/Release engineer position
    alan.pae Journeyer
    My questions are:
    1) Can B/R Engineer be an entry level position? Meaning that u never done the job but there are plenty of ppl and resources around to get you started;
    It's always up to the hiring manager. :-)
    2) Is there a lot of coding involved in this position? I know there is scripting but what else in terms of actual coding
    Define coding . More on this in a minute.
    3) What are the most important tools that I should have knowledge of. I'm talking about the ones used industry wide. I know my company has some custom (in-house) built tools for that but what are other companies using?
    Probably a mixture of Jumpstart, JET, CFEnging, puppet, etc... Each one involves different kinds of coding.
    4) What would be your advise for the interview? What should I have prepared and what areas of my experience, work ethics and capabilities should I emphasize on and what should I be quiet about?
    Sounds like it might be an ethical question. Since you're already an employee ask the other people who are already working for the hiring manager.
    Read the docs and practice beforehand.

alan
  • 2. Re: Looking towards a Build/Release engineer position
    877571 Newbie

I have seen a lot of entry level BnR positions and roles, but personally, i dont think its a good idea. A BnR person needs to have atleast 3-5 years of experience in development/testing/infra backgrounds before getting into some real serious BnR activity. Again, thats my personal opinion :)

Honestly. No! Yes, a lot of scripting though. Prior development experience would definitely help trouble-shooting a lot of issues.

Source Control Systems: CVS, SVN, TFS, GIT
    Continuous Integration Tools: Hudson (Jenkins), Cruise Control
    Scripting: Perl, Shell, ANT scripts
    Databases: Oracle, Mysql
    This is just a pointer, there are many more which I'm missing.

Process Orientation, Communication skills, Problem solving, and knowledge on the topics suggested in the previous point.

Well, one needs to be passionate about this role. You should go for it, only if you feel strongly for this position :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points