This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2011 7:36 PM by 796440 RSS

Key

822528 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I made my application and now I want to sale but do not know how to protect her. how to create a key that lasts for one year. What is the best way.

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: Key
    793415 Pro
    user13445135 wrote:
    I made my application and now I want to sale but do not know how to protect her. how to create a key that lasts for one year. What is the best way.
    The 'best way' is to completely avoid such nonsense. Protection can be hacked if the program is valuable enough, and it will just p1ss off users if it isn't.

As an aside. Cracking the security of a program might be illegal, but if it is worth duplicating, it is also worth sitting a bunch of program testers down in front of it to describe the inputs and outputs. Give that description to a design/development team & they will probably be able to write the same program, better, within a very short time. AFAIU, that is not illegal in any country.

If you want to make money from your app.,
    1) Sell it wholesale to someone else (then it becomes their problem to make it profitable).
    2) Sell support, rather than software.
    3) Shift the logic of the app. to a server (if appropriate - this will only work if the app. uses some logic which is not intuitively obvious, and is utterly original).

But ultimately, I think these questions are a waste of time. Anyone with as little experience as to ask how to make their app. uncrackable, would almost certainly not be the source of the next 'killer app.'.
  • 2. Re: Key
    836762 Newbie
    The easiest way to create a key that will last for 1 year is to have the install process of your application save the date the program was installed. Then every time your program starts it should check to see if 1 year has elapsed since the date it was installed. If it has been more than a year, end the program.

Yes, as Andrew Thomspon replied, your key could be hacked, your install date could be tampered with, your code can be decompiled, or even rewritten. But that's true for any program. Other than getting out of the programming business, there is no way to prevent such possibilities. Yet many people are still writing and selling software. Take measures to develop a non-trivial key. Put the install date in the system registry where novice users may fear to tinker. If they uninstall and reinstall your program, make sure the install date does not get reset. Copyright your program. Make the user accept a license agreement when they install it. Obfuscate your code.

How do you do all that? That's way too much to put into a single response on a forum. But I can refer you to a book I wrote: This Little Program Went to Market: Create, Deploy, Distribute, Sell, and Market Software and More on the Internet at Little or No Cost to You.

Annette Godtland
    Godtland Software Corporation
    www.godtlandsoftware.com
  • 3. Re: Key
    796440 Guru
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    user13445135 wrote:
    The 'best way' is to completely avoid such nonsense. Protection can be hacked if the program is valuable enough, and it will just p1ss off users if it isn't.
    Wanna take odds on whether the OP's code is valuable enough?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points