This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 6:36 AM by 802084 RSS

Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1

824284 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I bought StarOffice in 2009 and want to update it to version 9.2. This is a public accessable download however I need to first install version 9.1 and strange enough it sends me to a support page where I have to input an Service ID. I'm running around in circles now. I purchased an official product, can update to a public 9.2 version but have to download 9.1 first and that is behind bars. It is driving me nuts. I looked how contact Oracle but can't find anything and are confronted with YES AGAIN a Service ID. The only option is to write a letter to Oracle headquarters to overcome this problem.

Does anybody knows a better solution for my problem than writing a letter ;-).

Kind regards,

Marcel

Edited by: user13486280 on 15-dec-2010 13:44
  • 1. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    Thursday, December 16, 2010

The SO9 updates on the Public Patches site appear to be only the incremental patch files for Windows hence the requirement for update 2. I think that mean the update is to 9.1.1. Update 4 took one to 9.2.0 I believe - I could be wrong since I am working from memory. Oracle is still going through growing pains from the Sun purchase so you will likely have to contact them if you want to stay with the StarOffice branding.

That said, your contract should qualify you for the latest update which is Oracle Open Office 3.3.0. If the name had not been changed this would have been known as StarOffice 9.3.0.

Phil
  • 2. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    824793 Newbie
    I have some related questions.

My company has licensed CD with StarOffice 8 for 5 work places, so:
    1. To what product/version of Oracle/Sun it could/should be upgraded?
    2. Where it could be downloaded (in case we have not an Customer Support Identifier — don't need support at all).

Thanks in advance!
  • 3. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    Friday, December 17, 2010
    Your CD should have the information which at a minimum enable you to log on the Public Patches site and upgrade to update 16 (680m23 Build: 9499).

If you are using the legacy filters which came with SO8 then you should do this. I keep SO8 and the lated OOO on my system.
    2. Where it could be downloaded (in case we have not an Customer Support Identifier — don't need support at all).
    If you want to upgrade the latest software, then you have a number of options.

StarOffice 9 was a support branding of OpenOffice.org 3. No additional commercial software was included. The only software advantage was SO9 had incremental upgrades so one did not have to a complete reinstall with each upgrade. The last SO9 branding was 9.2.0.

With the renaming of SO9 as Oracle Open Office 3, OOO 3.2.1 became more than a support branding. The OOO code was milestone later than than of the underlying OOo. OOO 3.3, which was just released in conjunction with Oracle Cloud Office 1.0, continues the return to commercial software support - in this case for OCO.

So your first option would be the five license OOO 3.3 and possibly OCO as well.

Your second option could be the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 (3.3 is in Release Candidate stage). This is the open source product whose code underlies OOO and SO before it.

Your third option could be LibreOffice, which is the recent fork of OOo, mostly, as far as I can tell, by Linux developers.

Phil
  • 4. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    824793 Newbie
    PGAGA wrote:
    Friday, December 17, 2010
    Your CD should have the information which at a minimum enable you to log on the Public Patches site and upgrade to update 16 (680m23 Build: 9499).
    There is no such information on our CD but we had an account on https://sunsolve.sun.com/ and got updates from it. But now access to this website is redirected to https://support.oracle.com where we need an Customer Support Identifier to get updates.
    If you are using the legacy filters which came with SO8 then you should do this. I keep SO8 and the lated OOO on my system.
    If you want to upgrade the latest software, then you have a number of options.

StarOffice 9 was a support branding of OpenOffice.org 3. No additional commercial software was included. The only software advantage was SO9 had incremental upgrades so one did not have to a complete reinstall with each upgrade. The last SO9 branding was 9.2.0.

With the renaming of SO9 as Oracle Open Office 3, OOO 3.2.1 became more than a support branding. The OOO code was milestone later than than of the underlying OOo. OOO 3.3, which was just released in conjunction with Oracle Cloud Office 1.0, continues the return to commercial software support - in this case for OCO.

So your first option would be the five license OOO 3.3 and possibly OCO as well.
    Q: Is there any way to get updates (or get OOO installer) without the mysterious CSI?
    Your second option could be the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 (3.3 is in Release Candidate stage). This is the open source product whose code underlies OOO and SO before it.
    OOo gives no any guarantee to properly work comparably with OOO.
    Your third option could be LibreOffice, which is the recent fork of OOo, mostly, as far as I can tell, by Linux developers.
    LibreOffice is too fresh to use.
    >
    Phil
    Thanks for your reply.
  • 5. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    Monday, December 20, 2010
    There is no such information on our CD but we had an account on https://sunsolve.sun.com/ and got updates from it. But now access to this website is redirected to https://support.oracle.com where we need an Customer Support Identifier to get updates.
    If you properly migrated your identity to oracle, then you should still be able to access the updates at this site

https://sspatch.oracle.com/showMe.do?page=public

If you did not create the Oracle account with the same email address as you used for Sun, you will need to contact Oracle to reestablish your identity.
    Q: Is there any way to get updates (or get OOO installer) without the mysterious CSI?
    Updates will require you reestablishing your identity.

For OOO you will need to purchase a new license.
    With the exception of Oracle Cloud Office support, OOo is compatible since that is the code underlying OOO.

Phil
  • 6. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    824793 Newbie
    PGAGA wrote:
    Monday, December 20, 2010
    If you properly migrated your identity to oracle, then you should still be able to access the updates at this site

https://sspatch.oracle.com/showMe.do?page=public
    That I did, but I didn't know about this URL. Now we can download patches (but with some difficulties — descriptions of patches are missing).

If you did not create the Oracle account with the same email address as you used for Sun, you will need to contact Oracle to reestablish your identity.
    Updates will require you reestablishing your identity.

For OOO you will need to purchase a new license.
    I understood that:
    1. "StarOffice 8" owners has possibility of update to "StarOffice 9" without any additional payment.
    2. But "StarOffice 8" owners has no possibility of update to OOO without buying it. (from OOO3 Patch readme: +"You may only use this product with an already existing license to StarOffice 9 or Oracle Open Office 3.2.1."+ ).

But my situation is more complicated:
    Our software provider sold the "StarOffice 8" to us on 26 ^th^ March 2009 when "StarOffice 9" was existing more than half of year. The fact of the sale is properly committed in our official papers.
    Q.: Can my company use OOO taking into account the above information?
    With the exception of Oracle Cloud Office support, OOo is compatible since that is the code underlying OOO.

Phil
    Thanks for you reply!
  • 7. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010
    That I did, but I didn't know about this URL. Now we can download patches (but with some difficulties — descriptions of patches are missing).
    Fortunately I had made notes of the patch number identities. The number before the dash defines the product.

For example Windows is 120187 and Linux is 120184.
    I understood that:
    1. "StarOffice 8" owners has possibility of update to "StarOffice 9" without any additional payment.
    2. But "StarOffice 8" owners has no possibility of update to OOO without buying it. (from OOO3 Patch readme: "You may only use this product with an already existing license to StarOffice 9 or Oracle Open Office 3.2.1." ).
    OOO is SO. The name, and first number, changed with version x.2.1. I never saw the possibility of update from SO8 to SO9.
    Our software provider sold the "StarOffice 8" to us on 26 th March 2009 when "StarOffice 9" was existing more than half of year. The fact of the sale is properly committed in our official papers.
    You will need to contact the Oracle sales people with this question.

Phil
  • 8. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    824793 Newbie
    PGAGA wrote:
    Fortunately I had made notes of the patch number identities. The number before the dash defines the product.

For example Windows is 120187 and Linux is 120184.
    What about language-variety patches? :)

>
    I understood that:
    2. But "StarOffice 8" owners has no possibility of update to OOO without buying it. (from OOO3 Patch readme: "You may only use this product with an already existing license to StarOffice 9 or Oracle Open Office 3.2.1." ).
    OOO is SO. The name, and first number, changed with version x.2.1. I never saw the possibility of update from SO8 to SO9.
    Unfortunately I can't give you a trusted URL in English.

>
    Our software provider sold the "StarOffice 8" to us on 26 th March 2009 when "StarOffice 9" was existing more than half of year. The fact of the sale is properly committed in our official papers.
    You will need to contact the Oracle sales people with this question.
    I will try!

>
    Phil
    Thanks for your help!
  • 9. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    I think one patch does all.
    Unfortunately I can't give you a trusted URL in English.
    I suspect the Oracle answer would be that the reseller is responsible for any offers. I think Avanquest was the common reseller at one point.

Phil
  • 10. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    793959 Newbie
    Thursday, December 23, 2010
    I think one patch does all.
    Update 17 was just released for StarOffice 8 and I am able to confirm that all languages are included in the one file.

Phil
  • 11. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    824284 Newbie
    To Oracle!

I'm sick and tired of this piece of software. I uninstalled it and bought Microsoft Office 2010. What a relief! No hassle anymore! You lost me as a customer.

Hasta la Vista, baby.

Edited by: user13486280 on 14-jan-2011 14:08
  • 12. Re: Want to update my StarOffice 9 version but can't get access to update 9.1
    802084 Newbie
    you are right!
    I have done the same.
    SO9 updated to Oracle OO 3.2.1
    Now I am unable to update to 3.3
    Oracle Open Office comes up with errors and won't start.

I wiped all that Oracle garbage off my computers.
    MS Office 2010 works just great :-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points