2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 6:27 AM by 703490 RSS

Set up IPMP Solaris 10 -- two interfaces, one IP

I have a tasking to set up failure-based IPMP on a T5120. I have been reading all the Sun documentation on setting up IPMP, but cannot find exactly what I am looking for. I have one IP address, and two connected NICs, and my task is to set up IPMP so that if e1000g0 fails, e1000g1 will take over. Is this possible, and if so, how?
        • 1. Re: Set up IPMP Solaris 10 -- two interfaces, one IP
          j.m.krueger
          If you have two interfaces and only want link-based failure detection, just put the group $YOUR_GROUPNAME statement in /etc/hostname.$INTERFACE file.
          Say you have the two interfaces e1000g0 and e1000g1, your hostname is MyHostname and your group is MyGroup you would do the following:
          put
          MyHostname group MyGroup in /etc/hostname.e1000g0.
          Put group MyGroup in /etc/hostname.e1000g1.
          Either reboot the machine or manually configure ipmp:

ifconfig e1000g0 group MyGroup
          ifconfig e1000g1 plumb group MyGroup up

in /var/adm/messages you there should be an info that no test-adress was given and that ipmp will operate in link-failure detection mode only.

Please note that officially you should create an ipmp instance first by issuing something like ifconfig $MyIPMP-Instance group MyGroup, but that step could be left out as ipmp instances are created implicitly.
          • 2. Re: Set up IPMP Solaris 10 -- two interfaces, one IP
            It would be help full . if you will explain you os /type, version ..