13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 11:07 PM by 540301 RSS

Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.

Hi,

I have one Oracle EBS 11.5.10.2 with Oracle 10.2.0.4 Database on Solaris. I need to copy over this database to RHEL Linux 5.3 with the same version but the filesystem is ASM. Please suggest what all options available to move it over from filesystem to ASM based DB. I just need to move over the DB and not worried about the Application Tier at this point. Please suggest what all options available to move it over from filesystem to ASM based DB.

Thanks
      -Samar-
        • 1. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Samar,

Please refer to (Steps To Migrate/Move a Database From Non-ASM to ASM And Vice-Versa [ID 252219.1]) and (Master Note for Automatic Storage Management (ASM) [ID 1187723.1]).

If you have RAC implemented, refer to (Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i High Availability Documentation Roadmap [ID 1072807.1]).

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
            Please refer below notes, it might be usefull.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10734/rcmasm.htm
            http://blogs.oracle.com/muralins/2007/09/migrating_to_asm.html
            http://www.oracledba.org/10g/asm/migrating_DB_to_ASM.html
            http://uhesse.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/database-migration-to-asm-with-short-downtime/

Edited by: Amigo on Dec 20, 2010 2:51 PM
            • 3. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
              Hussein,

I need to move/migrate the DB from Solaris 10 (file system) to RHEL 5.3 ASM and rman is not working due to endian format issue. I am not trying to convert an existing database to ASM actually it is kind of cross-platform migration as well as the file system to ASM conversion. The note 252219.1 is not helping in this situation.
              As you are the Legend of this forum, so you might have any other solution. I am trying to move the Solaris filesystem based DB to Linux ASM. Import is failing because it is trying to create the tablespaces with the datafiles with file system narration.

Thanks
              -Samar-
              • 4. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                Samar,

I have never tried this approach, so I am not sure if this is supported (migrate from non-ASM to ASM between different platforms). The approach we usually follow in similar scenarios is to move the non-ASM database from the source node to the target node (using export/import to transportable tablespace since different OS exist on those nodes), then migrate from non-ASM to ASM (using the docs/links referenced above).

You may review (How to Move Tablespaces Across Platforms Using Transportable Tablespaces With RMAN [ID 371556.1]) and see if this is doable. However, I would suggest you log a SR and confirm this with Oracle support.

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                  Hussein,

As the number of tablespaces is 162 so the transportable tablespace will take a lot of time. So options left to use the data pump or RMAN. While searching over the google, I found that it might be possible with RMAN Convert command. Trying to find the solution which is doable and less time consuming.

Thanks
                  -Samar-
                  • 6. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                    As the number of tablespaces is 162 so the transportable tablespace will take a lot of time.

Samar, what is your database size, i used datapump(approximately 500gb) for server migration project(nearly 150tbs) with out any issues on 10gR2 db later moved to OATM.

So options left to use the data pump or RMAN. While searching over the google, I found that it might be possible with RMAN Convert command. Trying to find the solution which is doable and less time consuming.

you can consider using Transportable Tablespace Feature, please refer steven chan link.

http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/04/10gr2_xtts_ebs11i.html

**Transportable Database*

I never tired this feature,when i did server migration , that time only datapump and export methods certified.

feature*http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2009/09/transportable_database_11gr1_ebs.html
                    Using Transportable Database to migrate Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i Using Oracle Database 10g Release 2 or 11g Release 1 (Note 729309.1)
                    Using Transportable Database to migrate Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 Using Oracle Database 10g Release 2 or 11g Release 1 (Note 734763.1)
                    Platform Migration using Transportable Database Oracle Database 11g and 10g Release 2 (OTN, PDF 284K)
                    • 7. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                      Amigo,

The size of database is 3 TB , also the source has file system and target has ASM. FYI.. After I moved the DB to ASM with 162 Tablespaces, then I have to migrate it to OATM :) so you can help me in that last step.

Thanks
                      -Samar-
                      • 8. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                        so you can help me in that last step

sure, i will , we have big gaints like sawwan and other people here to follow-up with us :->
                        • 9. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                          Super.. we can then publish a white papar .
                          • 10. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                            I have to migrate it to OATM  so you can help me in that last step

Here we go, if you still need information, let me know your email id, fortunately our teami did recently OATM migration,i will send you.

OATM migration
                            --------------------

How to run OATM migration utility [ID 404954.1]
                            OATM migration list of schemas has a restriction [ID 367573.1]
                            *My OATM Migration Appears to Have Hung. How Can I Monitor It's Progress? [ID 1073783.1]*
                            OATM errors out when moving Intermedia indexes [ID 365466.1]
                            FAQ - OATM - Oracle Applications Tablespace Migration [ID 418225.1]
                            Unable to drop tablespace APPLSYSD when migrating to OATM [ID 369526.1]
                            OATM: Can not connect as the SYS user while running OATM migration tool [ID 299248.1]
                            Some LOB Objects Are Not Moved After Using OATM [ID 754342.1]
                            Oatm Issues [ID 854712.1]

very important step:

How to move objects left in the old tablespace after OATM migration? [ID 463271.1]
                            How to refresh Materialized Views after migrating to the OATM Model [ID 391483.1

*This is repated issue for some customers:*

OATM Utility Fails To Move Table FPA.AW$FPAPJP with ORA-14257 cannot move partition other than a Range or Hash partition [ID 463456.1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                            • 11. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                              Amigo,

It is nome02@yahoo.com.

Muchos Gracias
                              -Samar-
                              • 12. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                                Samar,

Please check your email,if you got enough information please mark this thread as answered.

Thanks.
                                • 13. Re: Oracle EBS database from filesystem to ASM and cross plateform copy.
                                  Thanks Amigo for your help and email.