2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2010 1:17 PM by forumKid2 RSS

oracle -unix career ..what to do now?

hi

iam working in a reputed mnc with CMMi level 5 .started as fresher (BE I.T) i have around 1.6 years of experiance in unix scripting/oracle sql production support.

with learning of sql and shell scripting

i want to make my career in oracle which should be more dynamic,learning and creative not like in production support which have monotonus life.

could anyone please guide me about what career path i should choose ?

DBA , i have heard is montonous job too with same routine backups,no creativity with nightshifts and all, but it is more stable as people said. I have no experiance of it.

second devolper track in sql/pl sql having its own limitations like less demand, less financial growth etc. and people usually wants to shift in other area like BO

i don`t have any info about others areas like that i would like to explore

1)Datawarehousing

2)Oracle apps

3)Business objects (BO reporting)

4)Oracle CRM etc

5)Others (thats all i know,please add some others if they are creative )

iam really confsused now which way to chosse. and how to jump in other company on wat basis?

preparing for OCA right now but uncertain for career.

Seeking good help from forum experts.
        • 1. Re: oracle -unix career ..what to do now?
          aksarben
          What should you do now? Ask the question in an Oracle forum. This arena is for Java queries.
          • 2. Re: oracle -unix career ..what to do now?
            forumKid2
            DBA , i have heard is montonous job too with same routine backups,no creativity with nightshifts and all, but it is more stable as people said. I have no experiance of it.
            Then you should talk to a DBA for clarification. Most DBA's I know are also PL/SQL, T/SQL developers. I'm a software engineer and I have had plenty of late nights of coding to complete an interation. If you think a DBA is a boring job, you are way off track. As the other poster said, post your question in an Oracle DBA forum and see what those people have to say about it.

Edited by: ForumKid2 on Dec 29, 2010 11:16 AM