This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 9:24 AM by 809142 RSS

enabling stack trace on a realtime thread

809142 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'm having issues with getting a stack trace for a real time thread. I keep getting the following:
com.sun.rtsjx.DisabledStackTrace.canBeEnabledWithRealtimeDebugBean(DisabledStackTrace.java:24)

so i went inside my factory where i initialize my RT Threads, and added the following:
com.sun.rtsjx.DisabledStackTrace.canBeEnabledWithRealtimeDebugBean();

I still wasnt able to get a stack trace. So then i thought, maybe i had to make that same call in each thread. So inside one of my classes that runs on a RT Thread, i added the above logic. Still nothing..

can anyone tell me how to enable?

Thanks so much
  • 1. Re: enabling stack trace on a realtime thread
    EJP Guru
    I keep getting the following:
    com.sun.rtsjx.DisabledStackTrace.canBeEnabledWithRealtimeDebugBean(DisabledStackTrace.java:24)
    I don't understand what you mean by this statement. How do you 'keep getting the following'?
  • 2. Re: enabling stack trace on a realtime thread
    809142 Newbie
    So my process is multithreaded and only some of the threads are realtime threads. From within a realtime thread i can execute a full thread dump no problem. However, if i were to attempt to execute a thread dump on a realtime thread (within a different thread) i get that log statement stating i need to enable stack tracing.
  • 3. Re: enabling stack trace on a realtime thread
    EJP Guru
    That's not a statement, it's a single line from a stack trace. Where's the rest of it?
  • 4. Re: enabling stack trace on a realtime thread
    809142 Newbie
    There is no stack trace. At least that's what im getting from the output. My guess is RTSJ sees pausing the thread to get a full stack trace causes jitter and makes the system just that much more undeterministic. Therefore by default they disable stack tracing for realtime threads (when called from a different thread). Here is the entire output:

INFO [ProcessMonitor InputQ-1 Cell] stax.StackTraceAspect: (21/Dec/2010 17:47:22.177) 21/Dec/2010 17:47:22.177
    Missed Heartbeat Trace for CELL [ShapeCell]
    Strack Trace Dump
    _________Input Thread
    "ShapeCell InputQ-1 Cell" id [173] priority [20] state [WAITING] alive [true] daemon [false] native [false] suspended [false]
    at com.sun.rtsjx.DisabledStackTrace.canBeEnabledWithRealtimeDebugBean(DisabledStackTrace.java:24)
    queue: depth [0] max size [10000]

The "ProcessMonitor InputQ-1" is a non-realtime thread attempting to get a stack trace of "ShapeCell InputQ-1" thread (which is a realtime thread)

I believe the developers of RTSJ are probably going to have to answer this question. I have a followup meeting with them in the near future and will post their response.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points