2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2011 10:03 AM by 540993 RSS

Trying to solve a graphics problem with Autovue

I have moved a seat of our AutoVue 3D Professional Advanced over to a new system that is running Windows 7. It is a Lenovo desktop system. I am having a poroblem with the graphics within the program but I can not determine what is the root of the problem. What is happening is that when I select the measurement tool and then go to click on areas of the model the triangle pointer exxentially erases the image view and leave a while trail. It makes it very difficult to get any measurements. The screen returns to the full view when it is minimized and brought back (restored) but then goes away again with the same action. Is this a graphics driver issue? An issue within the AutoVue? Windows 7? I am working from an older build of the product as we are working to renew software maintenance contract. The version that I am using is Build 6742 2008-08-17.

Thanks in advance,
      Brian
        • 1. Re: Trying to solve a graphics problem with Autovue
          Graham Mckendry-Oracle
          Hi Brian,

That sounds a lot like the symptoms described in Oracle's KM Note 785713.1 - Display Issue on 3D Files in Measurement Mode Using Windows Vista or Windows 7 (https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=PROBLEM&id=785713.1). In case you don't have access into the My Oracle Support portal to read this KM Note, here's an excerpt:

-----------
          Symptoms:
          When trying to take a measurement on a 3D file, some areas of the display turn white when the mouse hovers over it to snap to an edge or a point.

Cause:
          This problem happens when the Aero effect is turned on. Since GDI usage over 3D accelerated regions is incompatible with Windows Aero, the only way to work around this problem is to disable it. For details about the Aero feature of Windows click here. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, GDI is no longer hardware-accelerated, but instead rendered to system memory using the CPU. That rendering is later composed on a 3D surface in order to be shown on the desktop. The graphics hardware video driver is no longer involved in GDI rendering, which means that mixing GDI and accelerated 3D rendering in the same window is likely to produce corruption like stale or blanked 3D rendering, trails, etc. Using Microsoft's OpenGL software rendering (the first item in the four OpenGL implementations) will achieve GDI compatibility, but at the expense of rendering speed and lack of modern features.

Solution:
          As stated in the AutoVue product limitation guide, AutoVue Desktop Version does not support snapping to an edge or a point for 3D models on Windows Vista and Windows 7 if the Windows Aero effect is enabled. You must first disable Windows Aero if you need to snap to an edge or a point or perform measurements on 3D files. Support has logged enhancement request bug 10083622 to the development team to have 3D measurement work in AutoVue when the Windows Aero option is turned on.

To work around this issue, Aero should be disabled:
          1. Click on Start > Settings, and then choose Control Panel.
          2. Click on Appearance and Personalization.
          3. Under Personalization, choose Change the color scheme.
          4. In the Appearance Settings dialog choose Windows Vista Basic, and then click OK. If you prefer a Windows 2000-style interface, choose Windows Standard, and then click OK.

Disabling the Aero effect might cause display issues when using Windows 7. In some cases files are displaying as blank, the solution in this case would be to also turn off the hardware acceleration in AutoVue by following this Note 824320.1.
          -----------

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
          Graham
          • 2. Re: Trying to solve a graphics problem with Autovue
            Marking it as assumed answered.