12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2012 2:45 PM by bigdelboy RSS

Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144

Hello all,

I'm planning to study for "Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate" certification. I was planning to prepare for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144 as both of those exams are validated against Oracle Database 11g.

I was wondering if any of guys here can help me out with the couple of questions that I have.

1. Which one would you recommend among the two of the below exams?

1Z0-047 (Oracle Database SQL Expert)
      or
      1Z0-051 (Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I)

2. What books should I refer for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144? I read a lot of threads about this topic. But, I haven't found a proper answer yet, which is why I'm posting this question again.

For 1Z0-047, I saw people recommending the following:
      OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-047 (Osborne Oracle Press Series) by Steve O'Hearn
      OCA Oracle Database 11g SQL Fundamentals I Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-051 (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by John Watson and Roopesh Ramklass

For 1Z0-144, I saw people recommending the following:
      Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl
      OCP Developer PL/SQL Program Units Exam Guide by Steve O'Hearn

I kindly request you guys to help me out as I don't have much idea about these books. It would be really great if someone who has passed the exams or read these books throw some light on these.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
          I would expect the SQL Expert exam to be harder, more knowledge of SQL needed, but if it were my choice, I'd pick up the Oracle Press book that you mentioned first and go for the SQL Expert exam. The nice thing about that is you get the SQL Expert cert from that one exam.

Preparation for the next exam would be harder, because there is no easy choice for a book. Feuerstein's book is good to have, but is quite big, and not particularly focused on the content of any exam. I referred to it when studying for the Advanced PL/SQL exam, 1z0-146, but only as I found content relevant to the subject matter that Oracle posted about it. I also used the other PL/SQL book you mentioned by Steve O'Hearn (I was able to borrow it through an inter-library loan), which was also useful, but the same thought applies, that is, you might find some useful stuff in there...

The best thing to do in a case like this is use the subject matter posted by Oracle for the exam, and go to the Oracle documentation. Really, you may find that it's better than springing for a book, which may not be so relevant, in cases like this.
          • 2. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
            Thank you Dan T for your response. I appreciate your help.

I decided to write 1Z0-047 and purchased the book "OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-047 (Osborne Oracle Press Series) by Steve O'Hearn" for that. Also, for 1Z0-144, I purchased the book "Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl". I will refer the Oracle documentation like you have mentioned.

I will start preparing for the exams and let you know the results after I give the exams. Thanks once again.
            • 3. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
              Hi,

I am also studying for exam 1Z0-047. Are you planning to buy any prepkit for this exam?

Edited by: user9152699 on Jan 14, 2011 3:32 AM
              • 4. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                Nope, I don't think I'll buy any preparation kit for 1Z0-047. From what I have read in this forum and on Amazon, it looks like the book "OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide" by Steve O'Hearn is sufficient to pass this exam. Let me know your input too.
                • 5. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                  Hi,

I have read that book but i am not sure if the book is enough to pass the exam. The problem is time, exam will last for 120 mins and there will be 70 questions, less than 2 mins for each questions.

I was thinking about buying SelfTest 30 day online licence for this exam but it will cost me around £44.

Have you booked the exam?
                  • 6. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                    Hey user9152699,

What you are telling is right. Time is always a constraint. I can't think of anything else at this point of time, other than practicing sample exams.

About me, I haven't booked the exam yet. I just bought the book online, the day after I posted this thread. I don't even have the book with me.

By the way, which country are you in? Also, can you please let me know how many days did it take (on an average) for you to study this book of 1Z0-047?
                    • 7. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                      Cosmin Vacaroiu
                      Hello,
                      I took 1Z0-047 (Oracle Database SQL Expert) with 95%, the book I used was: OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-047 (Osborne Oracle Press Series) by Steve O'Hearn
                      Extremely nice book, written like the one for SCJP.
                      Everything I read I also tested and I also read a little from Oracle Specification, when the book wasn't so clear.
                      I finished the exam in 1 hour, so time isn't an issue.
                      Goodluck

Edited by: Cosmin Vacaroiu on 15.09.2011 01:10
                      • 8. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                        Brandye Barrington-Oracle
                        Thanks for the feedback, Cosmin. Congratulations on your certification!

Regards,
                        Brandye Barrington
                        Certification Forum Moderator
                        • 9. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                          AlbertoFaenza
                          Hello Cosmin,

was the book enough or did you buy also any practice exams (Kaplan or Transcender)?

I would like also taking the exam 1Z0-047 and I wonder if the book is enough.

Regards.
                          Alberto.
                          • 10. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                            I am planning to take up the exams as well. Can you please give any adivce that s useful to me. Thanks.
                            • 11. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                              user12176855
                              Hi, I am planning to give the same exams were u able to successfully complete them?

Any updates on the books / practice exams that will be of help?
                              Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Books for 1Z0-047 and 1Z0-144
                                bigdelboy
                                user12176855 wrote:
                                Hi, I am planning to give the same exams were u able to successfully complete them?

Any updates on the books / practice exams that will be of help?
                                Thanks
                                WRT .... Any updates on the books / practice exams that will be of help? ....

Thisi usually a prompt for braindump providers to spam a couple of messages on a thread like this ... and I have to waste time reporting them and some else removing them, as I have had to to this afternoon.

Therefore the 2 links I shall give are:

http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477
                                http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/question_of_the_day_how_to_pre

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=208

Ucertify does have a 1z0-144 practice test ... quality may or may not be poor. Ucertify currently remains certifcation safe AFAIK.

http://www.ucertify.com/exams/Oracle/1Z0-144.html

( I feel like I am advertising Ucertify ... which I dont want to be. I feel if I dont do this people will end up with braindump providers). Some may even find a poor quality practice test more harm than good, time may have been better sent learning from the online manuals and practicing what is there.