4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 11:20 PM by 757079 RSS

Port number

Hello.

In following system configuration, I would like to understand correctly about port number which needs to specify by env_config class.

System Config:
      Suppose I have two PCs (Say, PC1 and PC2). And,
      DB-A: PC1 is Master. PC2 is Replica
      DB-B: PC2 is Master. PC1 is Replica.

Regarding DB-A,
      - In PC1, Application specifies its port number as 8080, and specifies other PC's port number as 8081.
      - In PC2, Application specifies its port number as 8081 and specifies other PC's port number as 8080.

Then, my question which is about DB-B.
      I am going to set exactly same number as above.
      Is this ok?

Thanks,
      Osamu
        • 1. Re: Port number
          Hi Osamu,

I assume you mean that DB-A and DB-B are two completely separate, independent Berkeley DB database environments, each with its own environment home directory. Is that right?

Then the answer to your question is no, the two database environments cannot share the same TCP port number. Each environment must have its own port number on a given machine.

By the way, since PC1 and PC2 are two separate systems, you could use the same port number within a given replication group. For example, in replication group A you could use port 8080 on PC1 for the master, and port 8080 on PC2 for the replica. And then for replication group B you could use port 8081 on PC2 for the master, and port 8081 on PC1 for the replica.

Alan Bram
          Oracle
          • 2. Re: Port number
            Thank you, Alan for very useful information.
            I assume you mean that DB-A and DB-B are two completely separate, independent Berkeley DB database environments, each with its own environment home directory. Is that right?
            Yes.
            OK, I will give each environment its own portnumber.

I have separate question which is related to this.

System Config:
            ServerX is master of EnvX, and have replica of Env1 and replica of Env2
            PC1 is master of Env1, and have replica of EnvX
            PC2 is master of Env2, and have replica of EnvX

Regarding Port number, my understanding from your answer will be as follows.
            Port number 10000 is used for EnvX (ServerX master, PC1 replica, PC2 replica)
            Port number 10001 is used for Env1 (PC1 master, ServerX replica)
            Port number 10002 is used for Env2 (PC2 master, ServerX replica)

Can you let me know if each environment works independently and correctly with above port number?

Thanks and regards,
            Osamu
            • 3. Re: Port number
              Yes, that should work. Each replication group should operate independently.
              • 4. Re: Port number
                Ok, Understood.
                Thanks, Alan.

Regards, Osamu