7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 7:58 AM by user11990735 RSS

How do I find the latest Critical Sun Solaris Patches on Oracle site

user11990735
      Hello

How do I find the latest critical Solaris Patches available to the users. I was searching the list on Oracle's site it's hard to determine which patch is critcal or not. When I type uname -a this is what returns Generic_142909-17.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: How do I find the latest Critical Sun Solaris Patches on Oracle site
          user11990735
          I just located the link for Solaris Critical patches on the support.oracle.com home page. Here's my question is the critical Solaris patches monthly or quarterly?
          • 2. Re: How do I find the latest Critical Sun Solaris Patches on Oracle site
            SteveS
            Hello,

Within My Oracle Support click the "Patches and Update" tab, then click "Product or Family (Advanced Search)". Now you can use the filters to find what you need, so:

Product is: "Solaris Operating System" <-- You can type "Solaris" and it'll show you the sub-set of that search
            - and - Release is: Solaris 10 Operating System
            - and - Platform is: Oracle Solaris on SPARC <-- If you want the X86 release select that instead

Click the blue "+" symbol to add two additional filters and select:

Description contains: cluster
            Type is: patchset

That should then return the latest "Recommended Patch Cluster for Solaris 10 SPARC (Solaris Operating System patches only)".

If you're only after the CPU (Critical Patch Update) then use:

Description contains "Critical"

That should return a result with the description of "Critical Patch Update January 2011 for Solaris 10 SPARC (Solaris Operating System patches only)" (or whatever moth they are released). You'll find http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alerts-086861.html useful as it details the most current Critical and Security updates.

The Kernel revision you posted in the Solaris 10 update 9 (SPARC) Kernel. The latest is 144488-06 (SPARC) or 144489-06 (x86/x64)

Regards,
            Steve

Edited by: SteveS on Jan 20, 2011 5:57 PM
            • 3. Re: How do I find the latest Critical Sun Solaris Patches on Oracle site
              SteveS
              I just located the link for Solaris Critical patches on the support.oracle.com home page.
              I just spotted the link under the "News" heading myself (as I was writing the first reply). I knew I'd seen it somewhere ;)
              Here's my question is the critical Solaris patches monthly or quarterly?
              The bundles are released Quarterly, but the individual patches are released whenever there is an update.

Edited to change "Monthly" to "Quarterly".

Edited by: SteveS on Jan 21, 2011 11:08 AM
              • 4. Re: How do I find the latest Critical Sun Solaris Patches on Oracle site
                user11990735
                What are the monthly bundles? It appears that the critical releases include the monthly bundles. Is that correct? Would it be correct to apply the critical release without doing the bundles until the critical release? What I am really training to understand is if the Bundles are Cluster patches or not and the need. I am a newbie to Unix..Thanks
                • 5. Bundles and Critical releases for Solaris.
                  user11990735
                  What are the monthly bundles? It appears that the critical releases include the monthly bundles. Is that correct? Would it be correct to apply the critical release without doing the bundles until the critical release? What I am really trying to understand is if the Bundles are Cluster patches or not and the need. I am a newbie to Unix..Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Bundles and Critical releases for Solaris.
                    SteveS
                    Sorry, I wrote "Monthly" when I meant to write "Quarterly". Apologies for the confusion. My bad.

From - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alerts-086861.html

They are released on the Tuesday closest to the 15th day of January, April, July and October. Starting 2011, the scheduled dates for the release of Critical Patch Updates will be on the Tuesday closest to the 17th day of January, April, July and October. The next four dates are:

* 19 April 2011
                    * 19 July 2011
                    * 18 October 2011
                    * 17 January 2012

The CPU for the Solaris Operating System is a rebranded snapshot of the Recommended OS Cluster. The rebranding involves only superficial changes to the patch cluster, with the actual patch content remaining unchanged. The patches contained in this patch cluster are considered the most important and highly recommended patches for Solaris 10. They provide the least amount of change required to address known security, data corruption and availability issues.

If there's a particular CVE Alert which you're vulnerable to or interested in, then the fix will be released within the patch that corresponds to the area of code the vulnerability affects. You can then apply that patch and it's requirements separate to the clusters. Next time you apply the cluster it will either install the latest rev of the patch or skip it if you have the latest installed already.

The Recommended Patch Cluster bundle is a much larger collection of patches and contains all the latest patches (at the time of release) which include Solaris updates, Security, and Sun Alert fixes. Note that we merged "Recommended Patch Cluster/Kernel Jumbo Patchset" and the "Sun Alert Patch Clusters" back in June 2010. See http://blogs.sun.com/patch/entry/merging_the_solaris_recommended_and for more information regarding what happened and why.

Of course there will be a large overlap between the "Recommended OS Cluster" and the "Critical Patch Updates" patchsets will be rolled in to the "Recommended OS Cluster" whenever it's cut and released.

There's a lot of information in the README files for each cluster so you may want to read those to understand the subtle differences.

Regards,
                    Steve
                    • 7. Re: Bundles and Critical releases for Solaris.
                      user11990735
                      Thank you I appreciate your help!