This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 23, 2011 2:00 PM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

Javax.comm speed

833567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

i have a strange problem in using the javax.comm api.
The serial port could be opend without any problems (usb to serial-adapter), switching ports manually is also no problem.

Now two lines from an external machine are connected to this usb adapter. The external machine switches line 1 to high, line 2 to high, waits a short time, switches line 1 to low, line 2 to low and so on.

During this time i can see on the oscilloscope, that if line 2 is high, line 1 is also high, without any doubt, no errors from outside, the voltage levels are really okay.

Now i try to read these signals on the machine, that uses the usb adapter and javax comm, but i have the problem, that if i let run a program, that only prints out the state of line 1 and line 2, i really get the state, that line 2 has another level than line 1.

Can i do any flushes or something like that ?

Can anyone help me ?

andy
  • 1. Re: Javax.comm speed
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    A interface expects a minimal protocol implementation. 0 So for example a serial port, the hardware itself, expects a certain rate at which high/lows arrive. If the signal is outside of the expect range then the behavior is indeterminate.

I would expect that is your problem.

And just in case the signals are interpreted digitally, so you are never going to get different 'levels' (if that is what you meant.)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points