3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2011 2:33 PM by Darryl Gove-Oracle RSS

12.1 > 12.2 making my programs slow

Hi,

I've been using sunstudio 12.1 to compile a prgram witch C/C++ and Fortran 95 parts. Recently, after I've upgraded to Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2, the same program compiled with same compiler options are at least 5 times slow! Even the 'Release' build of the new setup is slower than the "Debug" build of the older one. Just to verify things, I've again used the 12.1 version to compile the same code and compare side by side -- no mistake, the latest and the greatest is slow. Here are some additional points:

1. Both compilations were done on Intel Core I5 processor. 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      2. Compiler options (for Debug in both cases): cc -ftrap=common -c -g -o and f95 -moddir=./build/modules -ftrap=common -c -g -w1 -o

What do you think is up. Any suggestions are welcome.
        • 1. Re: 12.1 > 12.2 making my programs slow
          Darryl Gove-Oracle
          This is a rather surprising result. With any release there are things that change, so it could be related to a change in the compiler, it could also be related to something that "just happened to work" with the previous version - for example an uninitialised variable.

To resolve this I would suggest profiling the application using the performance analyzer and determining where the slowdown occurs. With a slowdown of this magnitude, the location should be readily apparent.

Regards,

Darryl.
          • 2. Re: 12.1 > 12.2 making my programs slow
            Thanks for the suggestion. My collect command (<..>//solstudio12.2/bin/collect) gives the following output:
            -----
            WARNING: Linux-64-bit, 4 CPUs, LinuxMint_9 system "mymachine" is not supported by the Performance tools.
            NOTE: The J2SE[tm] version 1.6.0_22 found at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java (picked by JDK_HOME) is supported by the Performance tools.
            WARNING: Data collection may fail: system is not properly configured or is unsupported.
            -----
            Does this indicate that I can not use performance analyzer on my x86_64 Linux platform.

Edited by: user13686071 on Jan 24, 2011 12:00 PM
            • 3. Re: 12.1 > 12.2 making my programs slow
              Darryl Gove-Oracle
              Hi,

It means that the performance analyzer might fail. If you get the data - it worked, if there's no data it didn't... The supported platforms for 12.2 are:

- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
              - RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
              - Oracle Enterprise Linux 5
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/overview/index-jsp-139533.html

Darryl.