This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 5:12 AM by Nagappan_19 RSS

Drop-down menus

GarryLawton Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,
I recently watched a great presentation by Scott Spendolini on implementing drop-down menus instead of tabs by using an APEX list component. I then proceded to make an example only to discover that they already exist. The only thing that is missing is a suitable css definition.
I'm not a css guru but after a couple of hours I had my example. Here it is: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=9363 user: ddm password: ddm
My question is, why isn't this available "out-of-the box"?

Any comments?

Regards Garry
  • 1. Re: Drop-down menus
    user10248308 Newbie
    Hi Garry,

I was wondering if you have details of any guides etc you followed in order to create this please as I am looking to do the same thing?

Thanks
  • 2. Re: Drop-down menus
    GarryLawton Explorer
    Hi,
    my posting was really meant as a question and I was surprised that there were no answers from anyone connected to APEX Development. Drop-down (or Pull-down) menus are far superior to one-level or two-level tabs.
    If you want to implement Drop-down menus I suggest you look at the presentation by Scott Spendolini. http://sumneva.com/apex/f?p=15000:395:0::NO::P395_PRESENTATION_KEY:ALT_TAB His method is probably better than mine but I haven't put that to the test ;-).

This is what I did:

1. Used theme 2 (Builder Blue)
    2. Copied and made changes to the style sheet /i/themes/theme_2/css/theme_4_0.css (see source of page and css file included.)
    3. Copied and made minor changes to page template (see source of page) to accommodate menu.
    4. Copied and made a minor change to Pull-down Menu template to use arrow-down icon.
    5. Made a hierarchical list (Shared component) for the menu using the Pull-down Menu template from 4.

That's about it. Hope this helps

Regards Garry
  • 3. Re: Drop-down menus
    603054 Newbie
    Hi Gary

I saw the example you designed. Exactly I am trying to build the same looking menu. But in my case, though I could able to place the menu on the top bar, but still the base color and height of the menu is different.

Could you please tell me the changes you made in the templates.

It would be of great help to me.

Thanks

Debraj
  • 4. Re: Drop-down menus
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    There was a plugin released for APEX 4.0 that handles data driven drop down menus if that would help your situation: http://www.apex-plugin.com/oracle-apex-plugins/region-plugin/drop-down-menu_60.html

Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonald's makes the best food in the world.

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 5. Re: Drop-down menus
    GarryLawton Explorer
    Hi Debraj,
    as I said in a previous posting, probably the best method to implement drop-down menus is the one from Scott Spendolini at Sumneva but if you want I can export the following app. which is a minimum version, and send it to you via email. http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=47684 username: ddm password: ddm
    The most important thing is that you use a method which uses an APEX hierarchical list shared component with all the advantages of conditions and authentication schemes etc.

Regards Garry
  • 6. Re: Drop-down menus
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Could you open that up for others to see/use in the APEX community?

This is Captain Sinclair speaking. On behalf of my crew I'd like to welcome you aboard British Airways flight 602. 'If you look out of the windows on the side of the plane, you will observe that both engines are on fire. If you look out the windows on the other side you can see that the wing has fallen off. If you look towards the ocean you will see three people waving from a bright yellow lifeboat. That's me, the co-pilot and one of the stewardesses. This is a recorded message. Have a good flight!'

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 7. Re: Drop-down menus
    603054 Newbie
    Hi Gary

Your solution seems to be the perfect for me now for the application I am developing, as I am using the same Theme. Either you can send me the export file to deb99_gh@hotmail.com or you can open your application for all as Tony requested.

Thanks

Debraj
  • 8. Re: Drop-down menus
    GarryLawton Explorer
    Hi Debraj,
    I'll send you the export by email and when I get time I'll include it in the example app. Remember it is an example and is by no means perfect. I would like to see drop-down menus included in a future release of APEX.

Regards Garry
  • 9. Re: Drop-down menus
    StewStryker Journeyer
    Garry,

I'm sorry that my Spanish is so bad that if you included a copy of this application definition in the demo, I couldn't find it. Is there any chance you could provide the link text in English???

This looks like a nice theme and drop-down method, so I'd like to use it.

Thanks,

Stew
  • 10. Re: Drop-down menus
    GarryLawton Explorer
    Hi Stew,
    please use this app. http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=47684 username: ddm Password: ddm

Hope this helps

Regards Garry
  • 11. Re: Drop-down menus
    StewStryker Journeyer
    Thanks!
  • 12. Re: Drop-down menus
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    The one issue I will be running into with this (after just a few minutes of looking at it) is I need to have the menu data driven, thus limiting user access to certain options. That is why I am liking the plugin for drop down menus in apex I posted earlier..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 13. Re: Drop-down menus
    GarryLawton Explorer
    Hi Tony,
    I don't think that the plug-in is suitable for most people since it only goes down three levels (if I remember correctly) and requires a lot of overhead. Limiting user access to certain options is very easy with lists using conditions and authorization schemes just like tabs.

Just my two cents worth

Regards Garry
  • 14. Re: Drop-down menus
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    What overhead are you talking about, if I may ask? The menu is supported by a set of tables, yes. SO maintaining the tables is overhead?

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points