This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2011 6:02 AM by 665134 RSS

Oracle SES future?? Oracle recommended RFID middleware solution?

659857 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am working on an RFID feasibility study. I need to implement middleware to obtain RFID read data, filter and apply business logic to determine meaningful events and deliver the event data to Oracle eBusiness suite ERP system. Oracle Sensor Edge Server is documented on the Oracle web site as a solution. It is licensed as part of Oracle application server. Given the Weblogic application server acquisition, is this still a viable product? What is Oracle's recommendation for an RFID middleware solution?

Thank you for any information you can share.

Ed Marcy
  • 1. Re: Oracle SES future?? Oracle recommended RFID middleware solution?
    507884 Newbie
    I heard from my local oracle, they said SES is in maintenance mode, I'm not sure is it true, can somebody confirm this ?
  • 2. Re: Oracle SES future?? Oracle recommended RFID middleware solution?
    568972 Newbie
    Hi,

Last I heard (RFID Live Journal 08) the product wasnt going to be developed further, and instead Oracle is partnering with 3rd party vendors to take care of this middleware functionality due to the lack of success in getting the community to write hardware drivers, and Oracle not being a hardware driver writing company. Too bad, the SES in my opinion is a pretty good product in the way it was conceived.

good luck :)
  • 3. Re: Oracle SES future?? Oracle recommended RFID middleware solution?
    424889 Newbie
    Yes, it is correct that Oracle is not moving forward with development of the Sensor Edge Server, Oracle RFID product. The same is also true of the BEA RFID product as well (and this was the case prior to Oracle's acquisition of BEA). We have middleware technology that is appropriate for handling device events in our service bus, complex event processing and BAM components. But for RFID device drivers, things like EPC certification, etc, we would refer customers and prospects to partners.

Within the Oracle Integration product management team, Peter Belknap is helping customers and prospects find partners suitable for addressing RFID device requirements alongside and Oracle FMW solution. He can be reached at:
    peter.belknap@oracle.com

Dave Shaffer
    W: 650.506.1729
    http://otn.oracle.com/soa
  • 4. Re: Oracle SES future?? Oracle recommended RFID middleware solution?
    665134 Newbie
    I'm curious if there are any updates to this last statement from Dave? I have been playing with the CEP product and certainly see a home for it. I have not, however, seen much in the way of how to integrate with various hardware vendors.

I take it from this email that Oracle will not be developing RFID reader adapters themselves? So, if wanted to use Alien readers (or Symbol, Intermec, etc.) I would need to build adapters manually using libraries provided by the vendor?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Brent

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points