This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 9:49 AM by r_g_financials_dba Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Startup migrate hanging
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Currently Being Moderated
    I am not sure what XLA module has to do with STARTUP MIGRATE. The documentation clearly states that you need to use STARTUP UPGRADE - are there reasons you are not following the documentation ?

Srini
  • 16. Re: Startup migrate hanging
    r_g_financials_dba Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    I tried this recently and I faced the same issue

I was upgrading from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.3
    and I faced the problem repeatedly
    during running of catupgrd.sql which I ran manually
    it was hanging
    I figured out that the problem was the flashback recovery area which was set in my instance to 2 GB
    during the startup upgrade you cannot release the space of flashback recovery area which is used for online archivelogs by executing RMAN commands

I resolved this problem by setting the flashback recovery area to 10GB
    The process of catupgrd.sql took 6 GB of space
    and once this was done I shutdown the instance and started up the instance again normally and now I could connect with RMAN and backup the archivelogs delete input - so the space used by the flashback recovery area was released.

subesquently I ran the utlrp.sql script and this also consumed a lot of flashback recovery area space which I could release using RMAN commands - I had to regularly monitor the space usage and periodically run Rman commands to backup the archive logs and release the space.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points