4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2011 12:49 AM by 99443 RSS

Critical requirements for Java on Desktop ...

Hi,

I am developing a desktop app on Java. It is also network savvy and based on an IM system. I have found the following to be severly limiting.

1) Native compilation. Yes this is against the whole grain of WORA. (Write Once Run Anywhere). But exposing IP in java class files is a big no-no. I can live with the loss of performance.

2) COM/.NET support. Many rich desktop apps can be built by leveraging the many successfull desktop offerings. (ms-office, pdf tools, 3d players, video players ...). Java's lack of built-in support hurts bad. I use a "bridge" (jniwrapper). But, the limitations are too many.

3) Small foot print client-side db. (sql and xquery support).

Our friends at MS$$ offer these out of the box. If Java/Oracle cannot match that, I can't see how Java on the Desktop can be competetive.

/rk
        • 1. Re: Critical requirements for Java on Desktop ...
          rtumulur wrote:
          ..I have found the following to be severly limiting. ..
          So choose an appropriate language and stop whining at us.
          • 2. Re: Critical requirements for Java on Desktop ...
            Is it possible to provide AOT complier capability for the java dev environments ?. (netbeans, jdeveloper ?).

Andrew, your reply is certainly one way of looking at it. Another way is to find a way to make it happen. Since JavaFX 2.0 is a top-priority at Oracle, I am hoping that this can be treated as "customer input". As, you probably know javafx 2.0 is more or less the next-gen client-side offering on the java platform.

/rk
            • 3. Re: Critical requirements for Java on Desktop ...
              rtumulur wrote:
              ..Since JavaFX 2.0 is a top-priority at Oracle, ..
              Is it? Until I did a bit of quick searching subsequent to your remark, I had thought JFX had sunk into oblivion. As a (almost exclusively) client-side developer, that really does not speak well for the promotion of JFX.
              ..I am hoping that this can be treated as "customer input". ..
              I'm glad you put that in inverted commas. Oracle staff are not likely to trawl the OTN looking for feed-back. And if they did, & saw a thread starting as this one did, they would probably move directly on to the next thread.
              ..As, you probably know javafx 2.0 is more or less the next-gen client-side offering on the java platform.
              (shrugs) Even if it is. A casual inspection of job ads suggests that server-side Java development jobs outnumber client-side development by about 20 to 1. I suspect Oracle is concentrating its efforts on the application area that is most common for Java.

One further note: It seems rather odd you should come back with JFX as the central core of your solution, when JFX was not mentioned in the opening post. What gives?
              • 4. Re: Critical requirements for Java on Desktop ...
                Andrew,

If you follow closely on the developments in the Java/Swing/JavaFX world, you will pick up the "trends".

For instance

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/opinali/archive/2010/09/23/swing-20-coming

JavaFX (along with the JavaFX Script ) has been Sun's focus for client-side development in the Java world. (competing with silverlight, adobe flash, .net etc). JavaFX script died. Now that technology (scengraph based ) is being ported over into standard java libs.

Since client-side java is a substantial part of java-on-the-desktop, my observations stem from that.

I agree with your assessment i.e java on the server side is far more happening than on the client/desktop side. But, I continue to be "hopefull". In spite of my opening remark, I dread the prospect of developing in the MS world. (VisualC++ etc).

Cheers ...
                /rk