I've been beating my head against this wall for two full days now. I tried installing update JRE 24 and it fails every time with "Internal Error 2753. regutils.dll." I've gone through various forums and tried a variety of tactics. I first uninstalled the older version I had. That didn't work. I then went through the registry and deleted tons of Java references based on a search for the path to Java's bin folder. I deleted c:\program files (x86)\java. that didn't work.
I followed the tips from this thread: Internal Error 2753. RegUtils to remove the two JavaSoft registry entries. That didn't work. I followed their Orca tips to remove the NewConsumerVersionInstalled entry. That didn't work either.
I'm running Win 7 Pro x64. I have searched c:\program files (x86)\ for RegUtils.dll and find it in two folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\jre\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\JVM\bin
What can I do to get this thing installed? Or do I just give up on running JRE-based websites and applications (including Oracle SQL Developer which died during all my uninstall steps) forever?
Please follow these steps and see if that resolves your issue.
Step 1: I would recommend you to uninstall all older version of Java and install latest version that is available on Java.com
Please visit this page for more information on why to uninstall older version of Java.
For instruction for removing older version of Java please visit
Step 2: After uninstalling all versions of Java also remove Java folder from
Step 3: Once you delete this folder then try to do offline installation for jre6update24.
Do you have any Java entries in Add/Remove programs? I had exactly the same issue and found a partially uninstalled update 23 in add/remove programs. I had to manually delete the entry from the registry before update 24 would install.
It amazes me that this issue still happens, years after it first reared its head. Unfortunately for me our VPN solution relies on Java being installed on client machines so trying to push out updates is becoming a very big headache with such an unreliable installer.
I had this on a Windows XP 32-bit PC. Specifically, I couldn't remove all the remaining Java installs on the computer (all left except for JSE 1.6u18), got the stated error (2753). Didn't want to go mucking about in the Windows Registry, either.
Ended up using the new Microsoft FixIt (replacement for retired "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility") found here:
Told it I couldn't uninstall the existing Java. It went in, fixed the broken registry entries, removed the instance from the Add\Remove Programs panel, and told me to try it again. Install went off without a hitch.
This thread was posted more than 18 months ago.
It was the only thread by the original poster. (Go glance in their profile.)
It seems to have been abandoned by them, so there is little chance of them responding.
This resurrected thread is now locked, to that it can return to its slumber.