4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2011 7:07 AM by 726616 RSS

Best way to assign PM PC resources throughout the Project duration

Which is the best activity type (LOE or WBS Summary) on which Project Mangers and Coordinators should be assigned for the entire project duration? and Why?? I currently assign PM and PCs on LOE and it creates problems while changeing resources from Roles. e.g. Replacing PM resource on active Project and changing budgeted and actuals hrs
        • 1. Re: Best way to assign PM PC resources throughout the Project duration
          Gurus Please need help on this issue!!!
          • 2. Re: Best way to assign PM PC resources throughout the Project duration
            hi.
            both a WBS Summary placed directly in the WBS root (the project itself) AND an LOE tied to your SM and FM (project start and finish milestones) can be used to assign PM resources.

no relationships are needed for the WBS Summary (if monitoring an entire WBS or Project is what you need)

proper relationships must be in place for the LOE to cover the entire duration of the project (that is SS between SM and LOE, FF between FM and LOE, and also make sure you have no open ended activities to the right of the project FM. all activity chains should lead to the project FM)

LOE's can monitor any sub-chain of activities regardless of activities' assignments to WBS (which is not the case for a WBS Summary), but in the situation you described, I would use the WBS Summary.

still didn't quite get the problem(s) you are having. are you updating progress? could you detail a bit?

best of luck
            • 3. Re: Best way to assign PM PC resources throughout the Project duration
              Thanks for answering! Presently I have projects where I assign LOE attached to the respective milestones but my resource assignments are not coming accurate. It always create problem with the budgeted labor hrs with the actuals. what should we do if the PM resource change at the middle of an active project. How should we distribute the actuals, budgeted and remaining on LOE. Keep in mind that I do not have time sheets used for actual hrs.
              • 4. Re: Best way to assign PM PC resources throughout the Project duration
                hi. is it feasable to insert a new milestone for the change of PM, break the LOE into 2 different LOE's and use different PM resources assigned to them (up to and from the change milestone)?