7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2011 10:13 AM by 730321 RSS

Workshop Weblogic config questions

I'm using Oracle Workshop for WebLogic 10.3 and I'm hoping someone can answer some setup/config questions.

When I double click on the server (WebLogic Server v10.3 at localhost) a window opens with various settings that manage how workshop and weblogic work together.

Under "Startup & Deployment" I have the following turned on:
      Launch WebLogic server in Eclipse console
      Always start WebLogic Server in debug mode
      Ignore project compilation errors when publishing (I have this turned on because of errors in a portal project, the errors aren't inmportant, and don't prevent the project form running)
      Run stand-alone web module directly from workspace

So, first question, with these settings I was able to quickly switch to debug mode, with out restarting the server, now the server restarts whenever I turn debugging on. What have I done that has stopped this working correctly? How can I get it to start debugging without a full restart?

next question, what happens if I turn on "Start WebLogic Server in Express Mode"? As far as I can tell nothing happens.

Lastly, under "Automatic Publishing" I have it set to "Never publish automatically", if I choose another setting workshop essentially freezes because it's constantly publishing. So whenever I make a change, even in a jsp, I need to remove the project, then re-add it to see my changes in the browser. This is frustrating, not just because it takes 8 or 9 minutes (8 or 9 MINUTES!!!), but because the project doesn't run properly until it is redeployed. You'd think that if it needs to be re-deployed, then none of my changes should matter on the server until it is re-deployed.

So, my question is, Is there any way to get this re-deployment to happen faster?

Thanks for any and all help
        • 1. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
          Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle

Can you more specific with your question????

it looks some thing like you are trying to give query and try to explain it again..

Please post your questions correctly

• 2. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
            sure, let me try and re-phrase:
            1) how can I switch to debug mode without re-starting the server?

2) what does "Start WebLogic Server in Express Mode" do?

3) how can I cut down on my deployment time? Today I fixed a typo in a jsp and it took 9 minutes to verify it on the server. That's too long, especially for a jsp.

Sorry if I gave too much information in my post, I just wanted to include everything that I thought was relevant.
            • 3. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
              Ok, forget about questions 1 and 2. Can anyone, anyone at all, help me with #3.

Is there any way, any way at all to redeploy faster? my life is disappearing minute by minute. Productivity is is painfully slow when making 5 small changes to a jsp and testing them can take over an hour. That doesn't even count the time required to navigate back to the jsp I want to test.

Same problem with making a change to the controller.

Does anyone have any ideas? How come no one else complains about this?
              • 4. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
                Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle

you can use weblogic.Deployer utility to redeploy the changed jsp page this would be more faster than redeploying though workshop.

eg : java weblogic.Deployer -username XXXXXXXX -password XXXXXXX -name XXXXX -redeploy XXXXX.jsp file.

This is one of best and faster way to redeploy an application or simple jsp page...

• 5. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
                  Sun Ramachandran
                  Well, in my experience performance is not bad as you experienced. Is it locally connected server or remotely connected server? If it is a remote server, network issue could cause this latency issue.

Is performance better if you run the server without enabling debug mode? If yes, probably you can also review any break points set.

You could also try out the following options

1) Run workshop with -clean option, by opening command prompt and navigating to workshop_home\'workshop.exe -clean'
                  2) Untick the option 'Launch WebLogic server in Eclipse console' and start server which would enable server to start on command prompt
                  3) This would enable you to take multiple thread dumps (cutl +Break) on the server console output, while performance is very bad, to see where threads are halt.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  • 6. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
                    2) what does "Start WebLogic Server in Express Mode" do?
                    WebLogic Server provides a -wlx startup option that offers a lighter weight runtime footprint by excluding EJB, JCA and JMS from being started.
                    This startup mode can result in quicker startup times for WebLogic Server and a smaller resource footprint on the host machine.
                    3) how can I cut down on my deployment time? Today I fixed a typo in a jsp and it took 9 minutes to verify it on the server. That's too long, especially for a jsp.
                    If your changes are in JSP files only, there is no need to redeploy. Just refresh the browser and WebLogic server should be able to
                    load the changes. (You may need to clean up the browser cache if don't see the change).
                    • 7. Re: Workshop Weblogic config questions
                      HI, Sorry for my late reply

Kalyan - using java weblogic.Deployer still requires a "Clean" of the project, otherwise I get this error:

The application <EARFile> cannot have the resource <jsp path> updated dynamically. Either:
                                1.) The resource does not exist.
                                2) The resource cannot be changed dynamically.
                                Please ensure the resource uri is correct, and redeploy the entire application for this change to take effect.

But, it is still much faster, 8 or 9 minutes to 2 or 3...fantastic!

Re-deploying the whole project is faster also...but not by much, so not really worth it if I'm redeploying everything.

Sun - Thanks for the heads up on how to track this down, I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I have some free time to look at your suggestion I will!

Danny - Thanks for the link, it's very helpful. Unfortunately I absolutely need to redeploy to see the jsp changes, it's not a browser issue. It's actually quite frustrating because the server knows there has been a change but it doesn't republish, instead it throws a NotSerializableException.