This content has been marked as final. Show 18 replies
So, I have some more background on this extremely interesting issue.
The destination directories for the virtual disks are specified as:
C:\Documents and Settings\grstep\VirtualBox VMs\Oracle Developer Days
I carefully created these directories. When VirtualBox fails with the message from my first post ... it removes the directory "Oracle Developer Days"!
In response to the poster who suggested that i missed a file - I actually do have that one (I have the .ovf, OTN_DD_ORACLE.vmdk, and OTN_DD_ROOT.vmdk.
So, I was looking at the text of the .ovf file. (Is that allowed?) And I found:
<Info>List of the virtual disks used in the package</Info>
<Disk ovf:capacity="12884901888" ovf:diskId="vmdisk1" ovf:fileRef="file1" ovf:format="http://www.vmware.com/specifications/vmdk.html#sparse"/>
<Disk ovf:capacity="12884901888" ovf:diskId="vmdisk2" ovf:fileRef="file2" ovf:format="http://www.vmware.com/specifications/vmdk.html#sparse"/>
Am I missing something? It looks like the ovf:format parameter is going to vmware.com and pulling the format from there! And sure enough ... when I try that URL ... I get a "Page Not Found".
I will dig into the working .ovf tomorrow and see whether I can fix this.
Ok, so I'm going to update with what I have tried so far. I'm still getting the exact same errors.
I've compared the .ovf that is working (it's for Sage 4.3, not that it matters) to the .ovf provided with the Oracle package. The Sage .ovf contains several values like:
etc. They seem to be pulling their information over the internet, which I think is screwy, but it is working for the Sage .ovf so I assume this is not the problem with the .ovf from Oracle.
The file sizes specified by the File entries in the References section were wrong. I fixed those.
I fiddled with some of the syntax-- it looked like Oracle was using a newer version of the DTD than Sage, so I manually downgraded the syntax.
I modified the Network section to match that in the Sage .ovf
Next, I lowered the version of the "Envelope" that Oracle was calling out, by changing
<Envelope ovf:version="1.0" xml:lang="en-US" to <Envelope ovf:version="0.9" xml:lang="en-US"
All of these efforts were rewarded with the exact same error message I reported in my first post.
I found a whitepaper from vmware () that had this to say:
"If an OVF package is installed on a platform that does not offer the same hardware devices and/or categories of devices
that are required by the guest OS that is included in the appliance, non-trivial and non-obvious installation failures can
occur. The risk is not that the appliance will run incorrectly – more that it will fail to install and boot, and that the user
will not be able to debug the problem."
The gist of this section of the paper was to make the .ovf as generic as possible and to avoid specifying any hardware that wasn't necessary, and to ensure that the "virtual hardware specification is virtualization platform specific".
I'll keep looking -- there is almost nothing about this specific error, and I've already tried de-installing VirtualBox and re-installing it in a new directory.
Still waiting for someone to take this bull by the horns. :-)
i had the same problem.... when i tried to reassemble these two files, it was successful, but resulting file had only 1KB... (and those two has about 4GB and 1GB respectively)... so i tried it again and this time it had about 5GB... and then... it worked :)
p.s.: of course, i had to change disk size in .ovf file... thanks, Toon Koppelaars...
Edited by: 841340 on Mar 3, 2011 12:08 AM
Edited by: 841340 on Mar 3, 2011 12:09 AM
I too got the ...Invalid..box.. error. The cause of my problem as hinted in an earlier post was that the files were not merging correctly using "copy".
Unfortunately, it is not clearly spelled out but you need to do a binary copy of the files to merge them into one. So, for the completely uninitiated, as follows:-
1. open a DOS prompt (Start>Run>cmd)
2. navigate to the folder where the files are stored using the CD (change directory) command eg. >cd C:\Temp
3. to merge the 2 files into one, at the prompt > copy /B OTN_DD_ORACLE.vmdk.001+OTN_DD_ORACLE.vmdk.002 OTN_DD_ORACLE.vmdk
This may take a while so be patient as they're big files but you'll be left with one file named "OTN_DD_ORACLE.vmdk". Time to retry the import.Hope that helps someone!