This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2011 2:17 AM by 838458 RSS

why hashtable donot allow null values

838458 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In the source code of hashtable I found they are checking for null values and throwing null exception is there any specific reason why they are doing so?
and also is there any relation between checking of null and synchronization?
  • 1. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    JoachimSauer Journeyer
    user8483670 wrote:
    In the source code of hashtable I found they are checking for null values and throwing null exception is there any specific reason why they are doing so?
    null values are dangerous and you usually don't want to store a mapping to null (i.e. it's usually a sign of an error).

If the decision to enforce that in a general-purpose data structure is a wise one is a different discussion.
    No. They are completely orthogonal.
  • 2. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    840374 Newbie
    There is null check in the put method implementation of hashtable so it does not support null values and null keys
  • 3. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    JoachimSauer Journeyer
    roy wrote:
    There is null check in the put method implementation of hashtable so it does not support null values and null keys
    Yes, that's the reason for the initial question: Why are those checks there?
  • 4. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    YoungWinston Expert
    user8483670 wrote:
    In order to comply with line 1 of the class's documentation; to wit:
    "Any non-null object can be used as a key or as a value."
    As Joachim said: No.
    But if your question is: "is there any correlation in the facts that Hashtable is synchronized and does not allow nulls"?
    Again, no; that has more to do with age.
    Hashtable was created before the advent of the Java Collections Framework. In general, the classes created for the JCF are not synchronized.

Winston
  • 5. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    796440 Guru
    roy wrote:
    Please stop resurrecting old(ish) threads and providing rubbish answers.
  • 6. Re: why hashtable donot allow null values
    838458 Newbie
    null values are dangerous and you usually don't want to store a mapping to null (i.e. it's usually a sign of an error).

could you please explain a scenario breifing the above statement.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points