This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 10:31 AM by yasir - oracle grc consulting - oracle RSS

PCG Flow Rule Functionality

ssuhasar1 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
I have created a Flow rule with Rule Type of Check Constraint.
The Rule sends a notification if a new Item is created and a Default buyer is not provided.
However I am still able to save the Item and Create a Purchase Order for this Item.

Is this the intended functionality? If so where is the prevention in this case?

Regards
  • 1. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    yasir - oracle grc consulting - oracle Explorer
    What is your end goal? Can you please state the business requirement so we can help you further and the best way to implement it?
  • 2. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    ssuhasar1 Explorer
    The requirement is that if the user is creating a new item.
    If he does not provide a value for one of the fields a notification should be sent to an approver.
    Till the time the approver has approved the transaction users should not be able to use this item.
    I suppose this should be a standard functionality offered by PCG.

Also I was trying to launch the concurrent program through PCG. Even that does not seem to be working.
  • 3. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    If you're trying to prevent the user on the form from doing anything further, you'll have to combine PCG flow rules with form rules to prevent the form from saving etc. Flow rules will only kick off flows and not prevent anything on the ebiz form, Form Rules enforces the controls within the form. Have a look at the form name and build out form rules to prevent what you want to happen on the form.

What concurrent program are you launching in PCG and what do you expect it to do? I would recommend to get a hold of the documentation from the people who installed PCG (it should be bundled with the product) to better understand how to use the different portions of PCG.
  • 4. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    ssuhasar1 Explorer
    Ok. That was helpful.

- But the Form Rule would prevent the User from saving the record. If the record has not been saved the flow rule would not even come into play as the on-insert trigger would not even fire.
    - Even if this was not the case, then the notification has to be acted upon in real time or the user who is entering the record has to re enter the data all over again. If the product works in this manner its pretty cumbersome and extremely user unfriendly.

I have been following the steps from the Oracle Student Guide for PCG. I was trying to launch the Items Definition Summary conc program. I would simply generate the report of all the new items that have been created in my case.
  • 5. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    I think I'm not understanding your use case. Are you saying that you want to be able to create an item, but not use the item until it is approved?

If that's a case, you probably want to utilize a flex field and put a value in it (via form rule) or some other way that says it's pending approval. Then use a form rule, if you have an LOV or something and filter out that item from a list if it has a particular value in that field. So once approved you remove the value, and it shows up in the list again.

Does that make sense? You'll need to spend some time on the logic and implementing this on the form to remove the item so it's not used until approved.

I hope that helps.
  • 6. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    ssuhasar1 Explorer
    Ok. That helps.

If you could also thow some light on the Concurrent program rule type. What is that supposed to do?
    Can I launch it based on some criteria from PCG?

Thanks
  • 7. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    A Concurrent Program Rule is used to kick off concurrent programs. For example if you have a process flow, you can have an approval rule that requires approval first. If it's approved, then you can have the 2nd rule as a concurrent program rule to kick off a concurrent program to maybe gather schema stats or synchronize users, etc.

If you can get a hold of the user guide, you should find detail information on how to use a concurrent program rule on page 3-20.
  • 8. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    ssuhasar1 Explorer
    I have gone through the user guide. It does not seem to be working as described.
  • 9. Re: PCG Flow Rule Functionality
    If it's not working according to the guide, I would recommend opening a ticket in the My Oracle Support portal. They can help diagnose your issue and let you know if patches are required.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points