Well , this has been going on in my mind for the last 3 weeks.. that is it even worth being a DBA ? Let me tell you why i feel DBA's life is the worst life to live :
1. You are 24X7 on fire and as you become the senior , you are caught more into all this.
2. Irrespective of having work or no work , you have to sit up all night in order to maintain the so called signed SLA.
3. Weekends are spent in office ( well most of them) and you get mon-tuesday off as a compensation ? tell me what will i do on a mon-tuesday ?
4. My shifts keep rotating faster than the earth's rotation. Every week a new shift...my body just cant adjust. and then you cannot change routine of weekly rotations because the one in the night shift will die.
5. I am so - so frustrated right now , its 11:50 PM , saturday night , people are enjoying.. people are living a life... and here , I am stuck in the office... watching my screen waiting for some work to come.. but hey , i know , nothing would come up.. coz everyone / every client we support would be sleeping right now.. so what am i supposed to do right now sitting idle ? i google my future.. and I see that I am not alone... i have people who have the same concern...
Right now , when i see the developers are paid more than what we are paid , i feel I am paying a very very heavy price for this career which i did not even chose !!! graduated from college and deployed into DBA.
Have i got no right to have a normal 9-6 Mon-Fri life like the rest of the world has ?
I have lost my friends , dont get to meet them , i miss my family get togethers ( mostly held on weekends), this rotational job has just made my life dull , boring and sad.I have no personal life .. i am neither paid too well...
what do i Do...
I am sure who so ever would be reading it right now would be wondering what crazy person I am .. but trust me .. i am just going nuts right now and sharing what I feel here will just help me...Phew !!! God Bless All.