14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 11:29 AM by user12028272 RSS

Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error

Hi,
      I am trying to install Oracle BI Publisher Desktop on my machine. Got an error message saying "Please make sure JRE version 1.6 or later is installed.

But I just installed the JDK from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

I made sure C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 exists and I can run Eclipse and compile java programs.

What am I missing?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
        • 1. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
          JorgeAnicama
          Well, make sure you have the right JRE version and the proper way to find out is:

- In windows:
          * Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Java (icon) -> General (tab) -> About -> About button.

If it confirms your JRE is not up to date then download it from the link you mention but
          select JDK or else this link:
          https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6u24-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

regards

Jorge
          p.s Out of curiosity what BIP version and Op Sys are you planning to use?
          • 2. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
            Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your help!

I am running Java Version 6 Update 24 (build 1.6.0_24-b07). I did install the JDK not just the JRE. It looks like the right version, but BIP Desktop still complains about the error. I even tried restarting my machine...

The machine I am running on run Windows 7 Enterprise, 64bit. The BIP version is, v11.1.1.3 for Windows, from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/bi-publisher/downloads/index.html.
            • 3. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
              JorgeAnicama
              Although it may work I see that the combination you are trying to set is NOT certified:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/bi-enterprise-edition/bi-11gr1certmatrix-166168.xls

Look at second tab: Current System Certification
              Row 43 : Only supported OS is 32 bits.

If you are an Oracle Customer I am sure you are paying for Support and therefore you would receive
              support as long as you configure supported versions. Otherwise you are on your own.

Try to avoid unsupported configurations

regards

Jorge
              • 4. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                Hi Ive had a few people ask me this and Ive found that installing the older e-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe works. Just turn off any automatic updates to 1_6_XX as you'll hit the same problem.
                • 5. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                  JorgeAnicama
                  As mentioned before. It may work, but if at some point you get an issue
                  (which maybe a product defect - bug) you will not have oracle's support to
                  resolve it (as it is not a certified combination).

cheers

Jorge
                  • 6. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                    Hi ,
                    I had the same problem , but it worked after installing JRE 7 ! might not be the best way to go but it worked for me
                    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1637588.html

Regards
                    • 7. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                      user11995359
                      The problem happen when installing BI Publisher in a 64 bits Windows 7 computer. Install Java 1.7 for 64 bit and it should work.
                      • 8. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                        Multiverse
                        I have installed Java JDK 1.7 64-bit (with JRE) on my Windows 7 64-bit, and I still get the same error.

This damn program will just not install!

Oracle, don't you 'own' java now? Can't you get your Java programs to recognize which version of Java I have installed? I have both JDK 1.6 and 1.7 with JRE's installed, and I've tried setting every possible value of JAVA_HOME during the installation and I still get this STUPID error message. I've also tried the installation as Administrator.

Only you could screw up 'write once, run everywhere' this badly.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                          Uva
                          Hi,
                          After Installing go to 'Add-Ins' Tab followed by Tools->Options->Preview
                          Under It select Browse option for Java Home. Select "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6" Don't past it, select it manually using browse option till jre6 and in Java option check whether this value -Xmx256M is there or not. if not add it.
                          After try your BI publisher It will work.

Regards
                          Uva
                          • 10. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                            d428e344-e85c-4ad6-8174-e1369abb5340

Hi,

I've been battling with this myself over the last couple of days and finally managed to get it to install on Windows 7 using the following steps:

1. uninstall all Java programs using the uninstall program from the control panel

2. restart pc

3. install Windows offline 32bit Java (v7 update 21) from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

4. follow the steps that enable Java in the browser

5. download and install Java JDK 7 from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html into the same folder as the previous Java install

6. download and install BI publisher 11.1.1.7.0 for 32bit Windows from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/bi-publisher/downloads/index.html

Regards,

Caroline

• 11. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                              jeremyvanveelen

Firstly the 32bit/64bit version of BiPub required depends on the version of MS Word installed - it must match.  Word 2007 is 32bit while Word 2010 can be either.

When using Windows 7 x64 and BIPub 11g (anything from 11.1.1.7 and lower) you will not be able to get this to work unless you install Word 2010 64bit and JRE 1.6u29+ 64-bit.  I found was that the installer and the BiPub application checks the registry location HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment for Java homes.  In Win7 x64 this is exclusively populated with 64bit Java and the 32bit Java installs are located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment.  You can see the issue here as the 32bit BiPub installer and application will never find a 32-bit Java in Win7 x64.

So with Win 7 x64 use MS Word 2010 64bit, JRE 1.6u29+ 64bit, and a 64bit BiPub and you will have great success.

Regards,

Jeremy

• 12. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error

Dear All,

All above idea did not work for me.

But one thing is sure you can install 32 bit BIPublisher desktop on windows 7 64 bit by tweaking the registry.

open registry editor.

1. start > run > regedit

Export the following key on desktop.

2. HKLM> SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > JavaSoft > Java Runtime Environment

3. Edit the registry key and remove all the path showing Wow6432Node and close the registry ket.

4. Import the registry key on following path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment]

So before :- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment

After :-       [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment]

Thanks

Trilok Mohnani

• 13. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                                  jeremyvanveelen

Trilok,

This is largely an unsupported manoeuver that may well prevent 64-bit Java installations from working properly.

Cheers,

Jeremy

• 14. Re: Oracle BI Publisher Desktop Installation Error
                                    user12028272

CHANGING THE REGISTRY RUN ME, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION