2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2011 10:57 AM by Zettabyte RSS

ZFS Disk Duplication

I have a requirement to create 9 bootable drives at a time and be able to update some of the information on the disks after cloning. I have tried dd - which gave me bootable drives, but I could not see the pools and therefore could not mount the drives. I have also created a new pool on a drive and mirrored it and then split the disks off one by one. However, these disks will not boot correctly and have to be booted into failsafe mode, mounted as /a and then rebooted after which they boot and run ok, but they have a leftover rpool that I can't seem to destroy.

1. Is there a better way to get nine writable copies of a bootable disk?
      2. Is there a way to make the disk so that they will boot correctly without having to be booted into failsafe mode the first time.
      3. If I use dd is there any way to mount the disks without seeing the pools?

This is for a system that is used by people that are not familiar with Solaris, disks, formatting, etc. It has to be 99.999% bulletproof in operation.

Thanks for any and all pointers.

Barry
        • 1. Re: ZFS Disk Duplication
          The biggest problem with trying to clone your original system to additional drives hooked up to it is simply keeping track of multiple ZFS pools named "rpool". ZFS does not do it that I know of.

I am guessing that since you want 9 copies you probably have 10 systems (original + 9 clones). If you have not done so already do a recursive snapshot of all ZFS pools and zfs send to a file. Do a prtvtoc of all drives to files names something like c1t0d0.vtoc. Put the zfs send and vtoc files in a directory on a jumpstart server and then boot net each of the systems you want to clone to. Use the vtoc files to fmthard the drives then follow the instructions in the Solaris ZFS Administration Guide (In the Oct 2009 version it is on page 160) chapter 5 section labeled How to Recreate a ZFS Root Pool and Restore Root Pool Snapshots. After the zfs receive you can edit each system with localization information before the init 6 at the end.

Another option that might work would be to add a mirror (or 9 I suppose) to your rpool, do the installboot to make them bootable and then remove them and boot them on the other machines and localize them. This would entail some zpool clean up so it does not complain about all the missing mirrors.
          • 2. Re: ZFS Disk Duplication
            Zettabyte
            Bill H wrote:

Another option that might work would be to add a mirror (or 9 I suppose) to your rpool, do the installboot to make them bootable and then remove them and boot them on the other machines and localize them. This would entail some zpool clean up so it does not complain about all the missing mirrors.
            I think this would be the best way.