6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2011 6:23 AM by 850290 RSS

SQL server 2008 migration problem

I am trying to migrate from SQLServer 2008 to oracle 10g release 2. But Failed. It says Locating Source Plug-in Failed''.
      Is it possible to migrate from SQL server 2008?
      Any body, Please help.
        • 1. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
          wkobargs-Oracle
          Hi,

SQL Developer Migration Workbench does not yet support migrating SQL Server 2008.

See http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/pdf/migrationdatasheet_15.pdf

This data sheet lists only the SQL Server versions 7.0, 2000 and 2005.

Perhaps the following Metalink note helps you further:

Note 393760.1: How To Migrate Non-Oracle Databases For Which A Migration Workbench Option Is Not Available

Regards,
          Wolfgang
          • 2. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
            It is possible to use offline migration
            1. Select MS SQL Server 2008 database
            Migration -> Third party database offline capture -> Create database capture scripts
            2. Select Oracle database
            Migration -> Repository management -> Create repository
            3. Migration -> Third party database offline capture -> Load database capture script output
            • 3. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
              hi people..
              Im in the same problem. I have gone through the step which were given by oracle. But I was unable to go through Sql server capturing(*Capturing the Microsoft SQL Server Exported Files*). That procedure which they given in the DOS mode cannot be accomplished
              wats mean by following?
              prompt #
              #OMWD_OFFLINE_CAPTURE.BAT sa mgt2000 northwind localhost
              18 rows copied.
              Network packet size (bytes): 4096
              Clock Time (ms.) Total : 1 Average : (18000.00 rows per sec.)
              SQLState = S0002, NativeError = 208
              Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid object na
              e 'tb_data.dbo.sysproperties'.
              'isql' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
              operable program or batch file.
              SQLState = S0002, NativeError = 208
              Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid object na
              e 'tb_data.dbo.mtg_sysindexes'.
              ** ERROR tb_data\SS7_SYSINDEXES.DAT has not been created. Please check the scre
              n output and .err files to detect the problem. Execute the script again when th
              problem is fixed or contact your Oracle representative if the problem persists

**************************************************************************
              ** The offline capture script has completed execution.

** Please review the screen output and .err files (if any) in the output
              ** directories for any irregularities. You may need to execute the
              ** script again to resolve any irregularities.

** Finally, please archive the directory with sqlserver7.ocp file in it.
              ** This contains the master and tb_data directories (preserve the
              ** directory structure in the archive) the ROW.TXT, the COLUMN.TXT, and the
              ** sqlserver7.ocp file and return the archive file to
              ** your Oracle representative.

**************************************************************************
              #

Edited by: shri on Aug 15, 2010 9:15 PM
              • 4. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
                Javid
                Hi.I'm trying migrate sql server 2008 database to oracle10g.I have followed instructions.Connected to Sql Server Sql Developer.But i have problem.When i tried to capture database ,there no reaction.Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance
                • 5. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
                  wkobargs-Oracle
                  Hello,

please, don't mis-use an old thread for asking a vague new question. Please open a new thread and be a little bit more precise. Let us know the SQL Developer version and the Java version. There were known issues with Capture with particular SQL Developer and Java versions. Without knowing your versions we can't determine whether you hit that known issue or not.

Regards
                  Wolfgang
                  • 6. Re: SQL server 2008 migration problem
                    sql developer migration workbench does not support SQLServer 2008. It supports Source Database
                    Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, 2000, 2005