5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2011 9:54 AM by 840096 RSS

Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0

I am new to Java and working on it as fast as possible. Got 5+ years experience in ASP.NET C#. I have covered basics of Java and now want to jump into web development by making a project by converting one of my ASP.NET project.

I have explored Servlet/JSP and JSF2.0. Want to learn only one from them and put all my energies in it. I find JSF more robust, clean and easy to use with templating etc . I am doing all this so that I cover most of the things to complete one full project and try to find a job as starter in Java.

Now my questions

As a starter job in Java what things should I know?

Should I learn Servlet/JSP even if I am good at JSF (suppose)?

Do companies still need skills in Servlet/JSP or they are adopting JSF?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0
          Kayaman
          pirzada wrote:
          Should I learn Servlet/JSP even if I am good at JSF (suppose)?
          Servlets you basically have to, and it's a good idea to know how JSP works.
          Do companies still need skills in Servlet/JSP or they are adopting JSF?
          JSF was supposed to be a standard, but at least JSF1 was/is so horrible that I pity the fool who uses that only because of that.
          I imagine they fixed things in JSF2.0, but at least some cursory googling of the words "jsf sucks" returned an article that claimed "jsf _still_ sucks".

Also you're limiting yourself if you think that JSP and JSF are the only choices. You have dozens of different frameworks you need to at least know of, and try to get some skills in a few of them to successfully make it in the web business.

Hope this helps, or at least doesn't scare you away.
          • 2. Re: Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0
            Thanks Kayaman for the help.
            • 3. Re: Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0
              prateekazam
              first i would like to asked you one question why you want to change your technology ? you have over 5+ year experience in Microsoft technology .java and microsoft both are programming language .i recommend you if you have 5+ year experience then you do not need to switch your technology . this is one things .but i am sure it is not a big deal for you to switch the technology .
              see jsf and jsp both are based on the servlet .main things is that you have to learn servlet first .

thanks
              prateeh
              • 4. Re: Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0
                doremifasollatido
                Prateek wrote:
                first i would like to asked you one question why you want to change your technology ? you have over 5+ year experience in Microsoft technology .java and microsoft both are programming language .i recommend you if you have 5+ year experience then you do not need to switch your technology . this is one things .but i am sure it is not a big deal for you to switch the technology .
                see jsf and jsp both are based on the servlet .main things is that you have to learn servlet first .
                Why wouldn't you want to switch your technology? Java barely existed when I started my career. If I had stuck with only the language I needed for my first job, I'd have very few jobs available to me now. If one technology was good for everything, then other technologies wouldn't be invented--we would have stuck with the first technology. Different languages have different advantages (and different disadvantages). You should learn what you need for the tasks you are given, as well as learn what you need for the jobs that are available. If there are fewer jobs in technologies you already know, you should learn a new one. Or, you can learn a new one just because you want to expand your horizons, or any other reason you feel like.
                • 5. Re: Need Suggestion about JSP/Servlet OR JSF2.0
                  Thanks for the suggestions.

The only reason to learn Java is to "expand your horizons" as doremifasollatido well said.

I have good amount of experience in ASP.NET and I constantly working and improving it. Its time to try new technology and Java which is very similar to C# is right way forward. I don't need to put lots of efforts to be good in Java. May be working on Mobile devices like Android, Blackberry and IPhone is more productive and better-Just a thought.

I am not doing a career switch just learning to work in both technologies if requirement arises.