2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2011 5:04 AM by EJP RSS

serveletrunner fo executing servlets

Hi,

I was trying to execute my servlet without Tomcat or any webserver and I came across this concept of running it with servletrunner.
      It says it is through JSDK. So is this special development kit I should download or is it part of JDK6?

Anyone who can suggest me any other methods to execute my servlet without any Tomcat will also be great.My environment in my work doesnt allow me to install Tomcat.Thats the reason am searching for other means of execution.

Appreciate your help,
      KK
        • 1. Re: serveletrunner fo executing servlets
          gimbal2
          I'm assuming this has something to do with user restrictions and you simply aren't allowed to install software on your own. But then you must have a system administrator that can do it for you, right? If you have good reasons for installing it (being able to do your job tends to be a very good one) then there should be no problem.

In any case, you can try Jetty, it is an embeddable servlet engine that shouldn't need any kind of installation. Or try JBoss, which doesn't need any type of installation either, just unpack & run. It even has Tomcat embedded for its web server capabilities.

Of course you could always install Tomcat wherever you can install it, then simply copy it over to your working machine. The only thing you need is a properly setup JVM and I believe the Tomcat scripts are setup to simply use the JAVA_HOME variable.
          • 2. Re: serveletrunner fo executing servlets
            EJP
            I was trying to execute my servlet without Tomcat or any webserver and I came across this concept of running it with servletrunner.
            Not a great idea. You're better off grappling with the target execution straight away.
            It says it is through JSDK. So is this special development kit I should download or is it part of JDK6?
            It is or was part of the Java Servlet SDK. I'm not sure it's even available any more.