This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2011 2:19 AM by 603257 RSS

Mobile app, file upload question...

TexasApexDeveloper Guru
Currently Being Moderated
I just had a user ask about this and did NOT know if anyone has tried it.... So here goes..

Is it possible for an APEX based application, running on a mobile device (iphone, android based phone, tablet.. Whatever) to take a picture and then upload that through the file browser control on an apex page?

Any ideas here??

Thank you,

Tony Miller
Webster, TX

There are two kinds of pedestrians -- the quick and the dead.

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
  • 1. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    831054 Newbie
    I'm pretty sure it could.
    I'm weary of saying it though since, perhaps some devices constrain more than others.

My concern is that APEX uses a lot of JavaScript for form submission - perhaps the mobile version of their site is different - but frankly I doubt the mobile doesn't use JavaScript.

I think the bottleneck will be if the device can support the JavaScript or not, since the HTML File Browse is a very basic HTML form field.

Honestly I think it depends on the device, but my gut is telling me that it should work regardless (JavaScript capabilities depending)

I'd say, give it a shot though just to see if it can on the device(s) you want it to do it on.
  • 2. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    trent Expert
    Most smart phones have pretty full fledged browsers these days, so I can't see there would be a problem.

None the less, just gave it ago on my N900, and file uploaded no trouble.

Ta,
    Trent
  • 3. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    784526 Newbie
    I believe that the browsing a phone like iphone or andriod is locked unless you are using a native app.
  • 4. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Please explain the comment about the browser being "locked".... Locked as to not allow running certain web site? Running javascript?

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX

Never Surrender Dreams!
    JMS

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
  • 5. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    603257 Journeyer
    I'd say yes, the reason being is that I know the facebook mobile site has the option to select a file on your mobile and upload it. This is a device-independant site and is used just like any other site. Whether native APEX functionality could be used or whether you would have to code something a bit more fancy is anyone's guess, but from a technical point of view, yes, you can upload images from a mobile device through a website. Some mobiles may vary - mine is only basic though and it works fine. I guess it depends on the manufacturer, OS, browser etc.
    I doubt you could automate it, I'd think you'd first have to take the picture then go to the apex page and select the file from there.

Having said that, it's easy enough to throw an apex page togther that takes a file upload and saves it to the database - give it a go! :)
  • 6. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    603257 Journeyer
    I can confirm that native APEX upload functionality does work with the Intermec CK3 device using the standard edition of Internet Explorer available on there. I have no other device available to test on however it obviously works on some.

Thanks,
  • 7. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    fac586 Guru
    Tony

Safari on iOS does not expose the underlying file system through standard <tt>&lt;input type="file"...&gt;</tt> controls. These elements are always rendered disabled on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Edited by: fac586 on 14-Apr-2011 18:32

Covered (in very limited detail) in Don’t Use Unsupported iOS Technologies.
  • 8. Re: Mobile app, file upload question...
    603257 Journeyer
    iPhone restricting free development and software usage? Surely not?!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points