This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2011 5:15 PM by EJP RSS

forum readability

849521 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have some suggestions for the readability of Oracle forums. Obviously a lot of thought was put into making an excellent forum - many well organized categories, good searching, etc. But, there are a number of things which make it difficult for me to read the actual contents. I would like that Oracle address these, if possible.

And, pardon - not sure where to post this, please feel free to suggest allternates.

1. The use of hashing in the "code" sections. Hashing is partially obscuring the text when viewed on my display. Sometimes I have to copy the text out in order to read it.

2. The use of nested scroll bars. Please, please, please: let the internal components resize so that the top level scroll bars can do all the work!

3. There is wasted white space on the right of the window - move the legend and sign in somewhere else so that the forum content uses the whole space. This will allow me to view the forum side-by-side with my code or something else.

4. Add links from the search results to get to other forum categories, etc.

Thanks for listening.
  • 1. Re: forum readability
    EJP Guru
    1. The use of hashing in the "code" sections. Hashing is partially obscuring the text when viewed on my display. Sometimes I have to copy the text out in order to read it.
    Hashing?
  • 2. Re: forum readability
    849521 Newbie
    The diagonal lines in the background. Maybe there's a better word for them...
  • 3. Re: forum readability
    EJP Guru
    That's just the implementation of grey. Nothing to do with these forums specifically. Try a higher resolution.
  • 4. Re: forum readability
    849521 Newbie
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Regardless of the reason, the net effect is that it makes the text hard to read. Anything you can do for us with eyes over 50 years old would be greatly appreciated! In general, I would prefer strictly black text on white background with other techniques, such as border shading, to deliniate areas.
  • 5. Re: forum readability
    EJP Guru
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that this forum is staffed by Oracle employees. It isn't. I'm just another guy here like you.
  • 6. Re: forum readability
    849521 Newbie
    Wasn't sure if oracle employees watch some of the time. Maybe they do. Anyway, do you know how to post my request to the right people? It appears that the forum is maintained by Oracle, even if the content is essentially a free for all. I did quite of bit of searching before posting here but found nothing better.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points