This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2011 6:43 AM by 855919 RSS

Unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException

855919 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I think what I'm trying to achieve is probably very simple (or at least should be) but I've been trying for at least 5 hrs now:

I'm using RMI for a distributed app I'm building for my degree.

Up until today I got around the need for using a SecurityManager by including all shared classes (those I pass between client and server) in a class library .jar file referenced by both client and server projects.

This has worked fine, but now I've coded a method that returns an object of a class that I do NOT want to include in the shared library (because I don't want the client to be able to construct these objects); therefore, I've decided to try and get the dynamic class loading working.

I'm using netbeans and testing on a single computer.

Here's what I'm trying:

My main() method has the standard code I've seen: if (System.getSecurityManager() == null) System.setSecurityManager(new RMISecurityManager());

In the server project's Run properties, I'm specifying VM Options: -Djava.security.policy=c:\security.policy -Djava.rmi.server.codebase="file://C:/"

I've copied the ellusive class's .java file into C:\ to keep the URL simple, but I've also tried directing it to the netbean project's bin\ folder using '%20' for spaces, both with the same results - about a five second pause (so it's finding something I think) and then the error message from the client's output:

error unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: mypackage.myClass

My policy file's contents are:

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

I've tried about 20 different ways of formatting the codebase argument's URL.. can anyone help?

David

p.s. my OS is Windows 7
  • 1. Re: Unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
    EJP Guru
    The Registry can't find the class named in the exception.
    I've copied the ellusive class's .java file into C:\
    Nobody cares about the .java file. The codebase is a list of places to find +.class+ files.

And if the application is distributed, does the codebase "file://C:/" have the same meaning to all parties? Normally a codebase is the HTTP URL of a JAR file, or indeed a space-separated list of such.

And the server doesn't need a security manager unless it is going to upload classes from the client's codebase.
  • 2. Re: Unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
    855919 Newbie
    Thanks EJP,

Yes, after posting I guessed it might want the .class file instead, so I directed it their instead - still no joy, unfortunately!

I'm carrying out all testing on one computer, so (+if+ I could get it to work) a local codebase address would not be a problem.

Noted about the server-side security manager. I might want to use callbacks, but the server still won't need to download class files from the client, so I'll still try and set the codebase, but will try without loading a security manager on the server-side.

For the time being I've put the class in the shared library but have defined it within the same package as the server code. By doing this I've been able to set the class's accessibility back to default, but the client can still access it as Object (from the shared library).

This solution is good enough, but I still wonder why the client refuses to accept the class file from the C:\ codebase.
  • 3. Re: Unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
    EJP Guru
    I don't know what this business is about the class's accessibility, or why you had to change the package to do so. You need to make a .jar file consisting of all the shared downloadable code and you need to describe its location via a codebase URL that means the same thing to the server, the Registry, and the client. Sounds like you have just done most if not all of that.
  • 4. Re: Unmarshalling return; nested exception is: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
    855919 Newbie
    I only changed the package so that the class methods could be accessed from the server side (with package accessibility), but not from the client side.

I'll try putting the .class file in a .jar and feeding that to the codebase and if that doesn't work, I'll stick with my work around.

Thanks for your help EJP!

David

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points