6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 9:58 PM by user468360 RSS

What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?

user468360
      The 11G Express Edition Beta installed without warnings or errors on a Windows 7 64-bit virtual machine. However after install, the following error appears multiple times in the alert log:

OER 7451 in Load Indicator : Error Code = OSD-04500: illegal option specified
      O/S-Error: (OS 1) Incorrect function. !

This error is repeats every 10 seconds in the alert log.

I understand that this is most likely because of the 64-bit OS. However, it is almost impossible to buy a Windows system today that is not 64-bit. If the plan is to only provide 11G Express Edition Beta in a 32-bit version for Windows, I think it should at least install and run properly in 32-bit mode on current 64-bit Windows operating systems. Or is a 64-bit version for Windows in the works?

Thanks! It is great to see some progress on 11G Express!

Edited by: user468360 on Apr 13, 2011 12:08 PM
      I probably obscured my question with the alert log error code. I changed the subject to my real question: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?

Since almost all windows systems are rapidly moving to 64-bit, will 11G Express be made available in a package (either 32-bit or 64-bit) which installs and runs correctly on a 64-bit windows system? Should we report 64-bit related bugs seen with the 32-bit install package so they can be fixed or is a 64-bit package coming? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
          Ygorc
          After trying almost every solution on Google, i've managed to install and get it working by installing as the local Administrator of the machine (Windows 7 Professional 64 bits). The only thing that's not working is the database homepage. It does not open. I manage to connect using sql*plus and sql*navigator and everything else. Any news on that?
          • 2. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
            orafad
            For the home page (Get started) issue, {thread:id=2201312} might help.

Edited by: orafad on Apr 13, 2011 11:12 PM
            • 3. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
              user468360
              I don't dispute that you can do the install of 11G Express on a 64-bit Windows OS. It even appears to complete successfully. The database opens and you can connect to it.

However I seriously question if the underlying database processes are running correctly. My alert log is filled with hundreds of the errors that I listed in my original post.

If you have posted that you have a successful install on 64-bit Windows, could you please check your alert log and let us know if you are seeing errors, or if everything is running correctly. The alert log is the main error log for the database. You can find it in C:\OracleXE\app\oracle\diag\rdbms\xe\xe\trace\alert_xe.log. Open this file in notepad and check for errors.

Based on the errors that I am seeing, I ask again: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows? Does anyone from Oracle moderate this forum? Is 11G XE supposed to run correctly on 64-bit Windows, or what is the plan for supporting the almost universal move to 64-bit windows operating systems?

Thanks!

Edited by: user468360 on Apr 18, 2011 4:55 PM
              • 4. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
                orafad
                Good question. There's no mention of 64-bit in the [url http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#BABHICJH]system requirements section. (e.g. 2008 R2 which is 64-bit only is "missing")

I believe 11.2 production does support 32-bit on win x64, so perhaps this is just one issue with the beta, and maybe only in documentation.
                • 5. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
                  Kris Rice-Oracle
                  A win 64 version will come out with production. We had to choose more platforms or get the beta out quicker.
                  -kris
                  • 6. Re: What is the plan for 64-bit Windows?
                    user468360
                    Thanks Kris! That's good news and very helpful. I'll test the beta on 32-bit for now and look forward to the 64-bit release later.