3 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2011 7:53 AM by Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle RSS

RAC installation failure when format ocrdisk on RHEL 5.3

Hello guys,
      I want to install a RAC 10g on redhat enterprise linux 5.3, but I face a problem :
      After Installation the Clusterware, I have to execute: $ORA_CRS_HOME/root.sh
      But there is some problem as below:
      clsfmt: Unexpected error queueing IO
      skgfqio: Additional information: 1
      Additional information: 4

The environment is :
      [root@test1 ~]# uname -r
      2.6.18-128.el5

[root@test1 ~]# more /etc/redhat-release
      Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)

and The gpfs 3.3.0.5 was be install at my platform.

The ocrdisk was be setting on GPFS disks.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: RAC installation failure when format ocrdisk on RHEL 5.3
          Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
          Hi,

even though I do not know, what exactly is the reason for the error, I know that your setup is not within the Oracle recommendations:

Please have a look at:
          IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS) and Oracle RAC (Doc ID 302806.1)

the important part here is:
          "Oracle Clusterware voting disks and the Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) should not be placed on GPFS as the I/O freeze during GPFS reconfiguration can lead to node eviction, or cluster management activities to fail."

So I would not try to debug the error further, and place OCR and Voting disks directly on block/raw devices instead of GPFS.

Regards
          Sebastian
          • 2. Re: RAC installation failure when format ocrdisk on RHEL 5.3
            Hello Sebastian,
            Thanks for your reply and suggest. Is it means that I can not install RAC on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 for x86, but I can install it on Linux on POWER or AIX? Could you please let me know for the x86 , what cluster software can be installed normarlly on Redhat except OCFS or OCFS2 ? I means is it ocrdisk and votedisk can be installed a shared storage which only is OCFS2?

Thanks,
            Ken.
            • 3. Re: RAC installation failure when format ocrdisk on RHEL 5.3
              Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
              Hi,

no you misunterstood something:

You can install RAC on RHEL 5 for x86 without any issues.
              - With and without GPFS (though I recommend using ASM instead of GPFS).
              - You need to place OCR and voting disks directly on RAW/Block devices.

Best is probably to take clusterware 11.2, there you can use ASM for everything, and could also use ACFS as a clusterfilesystem for non database files.

While you could use OCFS2 , I recommend placing OCR and Voting disks, directly onto the block or raw devices. Please check installation guide for more details.

You also can install RAC on AIX.
              - also here it is recommended to place OCR and Voting disks outside of GPFS.

And you can install on Linux on Power, but only 10.2, since there is no 11 software for power linux.

Regards
              Sebastian